Tips for filming myself throwing?

I like the “neck to feet” framing in landscape, since that’s the general “yoyo zone” where 95% of the action happens. I think having the camera up at a higher angle helps a lot so you can look down on it and see what’s happening with the yoyo/strings still closer to the body.

Having the window behind the camera helps, but since it’s natural light, my videos are more or less visible depending on the weather/time of day. I need to invest in one of those ring lights for my tripod, but I’ve been too cheap to buy one since I’m not really invested in making yoyo content, I just want to share tricks.

My backdrop is kinda messy since I don’t have a great way to put up a black backdrop, but just choosing good days/time of day to record (and wearing dark clothes) made my videos a lot better.

Here’s an example of a video along with other examples in this thread. In this post when it’s a sunny day and I have direct sunlight beaming through the windows the string becomes extremely visible. It’s a dark-ish colored string too, if it was a standard neon yellow string it would be glowing. If I stopped being cheap and got a ring light I’m sure my string would always be this visible.

Right now I’m only using an iphone 11 in a 15 dollar tripod and relying on direct sunlight, but it works pretty well I think. I’m assuming you basically just wanna make trick videos so just dark clothes + direct lighting is the answer you’re looking for I think.

1 Like