Any tips on making yoyo videos look cool?

I’m having trouble emulating people that make good yoyo videos (I.e. Josh Yee, Thawhir Iqbal, etc.). Any videographers out there that can help out?

5 Likes

Josh Yee is active here on this forum maybe he will respond @JeiCheetah

1 Like

Videos are amplified by good scenery. You’d be best looking into framing, positioning, learning about foreground and background. Most of us know our combos we want to film, but putting them into context with scenery takes a lot of trial and error to figure out.you’ll notice many videos out in nature, or deep in the suburbs, the good videos do it intentionally.

I’ll also add what you wear as a subject plays a role too. Keep the clothing conservative and dark to highlight the string, and make sure you know where your light source is to capture your playing.

I’m sure there’s more on here topic wise to learn about it more.

5 Likes

Location background is important, Throw and film somewhere that is “Cool”.

1 Like

Angles… Front view, worms eye, head mount, birds eye… Throw in as many angles as you can. Cut them together to one seemless trick. Keeps the vid moving and interesting.

Transitions. Use your environment around you. Film, pan up to blue sky and blend with next trick blue sky down. Use walls, the ground, objects near by, and the throwers themselves.

Music. Select music that fits your clips. Know where the clips sync best to parts in song.

Best clips. Just use the best most exciting stuff. Its tough to cram so much into a 5+ min and people tend to get bored easily so just use the gold and keep it around 5 mins or under.

Heres a link to my latest film & edit…

5 Likes

I believe @Theycallmecotton can help you out here.

Locations are super important and can add production value just by having good locations. Shoot the same tricks from multiple camera angles and cut the different angles together in the edit. Make sure the composition and framing of each shot is thought about, don’t just set the camera up and press record. Make sure the shot is exposed properly. Use a correct white balance and since yoyos are constantly moving use a higher frame rate/ shutter speed. This will also allow you to slow shots down. Add some smooth camera movement using a stabilizer of some sort or in the edit. Use good music!

5 Likes

Thank you all for the advise :slight_smile:

2 Likes