Thoughts on the Arctic Circle.

I LOVE CLYW. I have just about every yoyo they have ever made.

With the new increase in prices and the general acceleration with which CLYW models are coming to market, I think that it is prudent to inject a bit of clarity into this the CLYW hype machine.

Many of these comments mirror those that were made about the Sasquatch: “The Sasquatch is a great Spinner - but you have to be precise…”

This is code for - nice yoyo, but the moment the string hits the wall - it is tilt-city. That is why we got the Avalanche. That was the Sasquatch done right. No narrow-gap on a large diameter yoyo to catch the string and tilt the yoyo.

I got my Arctic circle today. Honestly, I cannot see what this yoyo brings to the CLYW table in terms of play. It does not have the spin-time of the Chief, it is not much smaller in diameter, so its smaller size is of relatively little importance in terms of play and its narrow gap makes it prone to string-hits that lead to tilt. …It is heavier than the Chief so that is different.

While the Gnarwhal and the Sasquatch were the same yoyo just different sizes; they each brought a unique quality of play despite their similar shapes. This smaller version of the Chief is not superior to the Chief in any respect that I can feel. And it plays remarkably like the Chief - just typically, not as long.

If you want a yoyo that plays like the Chief; costs the same as a Chief - but has less spin-time and is prone to tilt -then this is the CLYW for you. Or; you could just buy a Chief.

PS. Sorry CLYW - If you are going to hit me up for $145 twice in 6 months, then there has to be a value proposition. The Chief was a ground breaking yoyo. The Arctic Circle just does not bring anything new to the table for me.

I ordered mine on Sunday and I’m pretty excited for it. It will be my first CLYW (other then the Campfire which is more of a pocket throw but still very fun). I got the Pekka edition. I will get it on July 11 for my birthday. I’ll post what I think about it once I receive it.

I’ve just been playing my new 28s for about 2 hours and I think it might just be my favorite CLYW. I recently sold a light run Chief, which was reigning champ, but the AC is really doing it for me.

While I agree that it does seem to tilt a little prematurely, I didn’t feel like the Chief was quite as “sharp”. When the AC hits the string, it hits solid and quick, when I loop string for a bind, the AC just catches immediately and rockets back. It usually feels like it’s doing what I think it should be doing. The light run Chief was just ultimately that little bit too floaty and slow for me, and I would describe the AC as certainly heavier on the string, but also faster. I also love how it feels coming out of the hand. While I don’t think it means anything in particular, it’s one of those that seems like it really generates a lot of power off the throw. I always like that quality.

This doesn’t make it my favorite throw of all time though. Just still probably my favorite CLYW.

Granted, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I will have to respectfully disagree on several points.
While the AC does require quite a bit more precision, i think it more than makes up for it in power, (like stookie said), it has incredible spin power. You just have to be more precise in your strings hits. It has plenty of spin time for me provided I’m not slopping through my combos. I find a Centertrac works best for me here.
While the Chief is a big, wide, and relatively forgiving yoyo, the AC is not. But that doesn’t make it any less of a performer, and it regens beautifully. Nothing makes me happier than a nice smooth regeneration.
After having this guy and couple weeks and letting that new yoyo “shine” wear off, I can confidently say it’s a keeper.
I think alot of people approached the AC with preconceived notions of what the play will be like: “oh its just an Avalanche with an inner ring” and that has somewhat skewed their perspective on it.
After two weeks, I still maintain that it plays like nothing else I’ve tried. I paid above retail for mine and am not disappointed.
And speaking of the Sasquatch, it still holds the crown for me as the best CLYW to date. Iam sure many people will disagree with me but that’s just fine. There’s just something about its big, clunkiness that i love. While my avalanche gets almost as much play, it’s lacking in an area that’s hard to define for me. It’s just feels a little too light and hollow in comparison to the Sass. As I said before, I just love the sasquatch.
In any event, every single one of my Caribou’s provide a very unique play experience.
Darn good yoyos.

I just got my cryo ac this morning and have been throwin it the majority of the day. I didnt know what to expect from it except I knew it would be too quality. First, as everyone else has said, precision is the key with this throw. It is definitely makin me be more precise. It is so stable and purrs like a kitten. Feels amazing weight and size wise and well keep you focused for a long time. Yes you have to be on with ur string hits but when you are, itll spin forever. And Ive even been using the big toxic bg on it. It also looks amazing and the grinds are insane. As for play, I dont think it resembles any other yoyo let alone clyw throw. It has its own uniqueness that I feel cant be substituted. Dont get me wrong, my chief is my number one but the ac is quickly becoming a serious contender. Go get one!

Actually the gap widths on all of our throws are the same … it is the placement of the pads that was changed.

Previously our response grooves were 0.080" which is too shallow for our pads, but worked fine for flowable silicone.

So for the Chief I made them 0.090" which ended up being a little too deep and a lot of our team members asked to change it. So I made them 0.085" with the Arctic Circle. All future throws will have 0.085" deep grooves. Which allow the pads to be flush right off the bat. So as they wear you’ll still get good binds. They might be a little grippy at the start for some people, and I apologize for that … BUT it goes away pretty quick with play.

You can always add Center Trac or Grooved Bearings or Concave bearings … they do wonderful things in a CLYW.

Chris

No need to apologize for anything, at all, you did something very innovative in designing the AC.

The elements that some people complain about actually have made me a more aware player, more aware of my string angle at all times and body position.

Once I realized I was too relaxed into a bit of sloppiness, and once I rose to meet the standards the AC was asking of me, the AC performed great and spins forever, and has really had a positive effect on my play with other throws.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter

Anyone else get one of the lighter ones and have anything to say about comparing the two? I’m starting to build opinions but the new weight has really thrown me for a loop ::slight_smile:

Zach likes the lighter weight better. Hence the change :slight_smile:

Wow, that’s interesting to hear you say that. I always thought that the Chief was a little slippy on binds when i had Snow tires in them. I always poured my flowable into extra thick for that reason. I just thought it might be player error, or the shape/gap. And with the AC it DID seem like the pads were alot closer and worked better in it. It’s good to hear you confirm it though… I don’t feel crazy now. In any event, i’ve always played all my CLYWs with Centertrac bearings and flowable silicone. The most ideal set up.
I would really like to try the lighter AC. It would fall right into my favorite weight range.

Was this most recent release the lighter weight version? I didn’t think to check the stats.

No the first run was lighter.

Really? Chris just said there was a change to a lighter throw, and there’s only been two runs. So if either is lighter wouldn’t it need to be the second run?

The 1st and 2nd runs were both the heavier versions except for the black with green speckle on the 2nd run which was the lighter version.

Lol you need more practice.

1 Like

If you ever saw me throw you would know how true that is :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, I’m no different. (: Just speaking out from what I’ve seen people do with the Sasquatch.

Anyway, competition yoyo’s nowadays are all preference.
They all do the same thing … performance hasn’t been a matter of question for the past couple of years, me thinks.

I think your right. I was mixed up. Sorry :slight_smile:

Reading this thread is making me really impatient … As I wait for my arctic circle … Damnnnn

I love mine. Very solid player.