Thoughts on polishing yoyos

I’ve sold a lot of raw yoyos on the BST over the past year and most of the time I always ask if someone wants their throw polished up to look like new but only a couple of people have taken me up on this. Do most people like to keep their throws as original as possible or is it something else? I was thinking it might be because they don’t want to bother me but it only takes around 10min to make something with just scratches look like new.

Also I’ve never had anything negative happen from polishing. No extra vibe or anything like that.

11 Likes

I think you’re bloody decent offering a free service and it sounds like you’ve got it dialed in.
People are just sceptical and probably are not sure on the outcome. It’s an complete unknown how it will arrive compared to the static image from which they bought.
I’d take you up on it :100:

5 Likes

I agree with @HappyHands. I think people are afraid polishing will somehow mess the yoyo up.

1 Like

Actually, yo-yoing messes the polishing up…

:unamused:

6 Likes

I will say that I love the throws i’ve purchased from you @yoyojoe and the polishing that you’ve done / offered has always been immaculate.

1 Like

This is an extra thing that I actually greatly appreciate. I’m surprised not more people have taken you up on it!

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about polishing but I recently got some polish and a cloth at yoyo meet up. (Shoutout to Joker!). My only concern is that I don’t want to muck up my strings or have the yoyo get sticky or anything like that. Is that a thing to worry about? I really know nothing about it so any advise or insight is appreciated!

1 Like

I’m impartial here. Personally if offered I would leave it up to the person if they have time but not push for it. I can see why some folks might just want the thing as described no changes though. I solve this issue by rarely ever getting raw throws.

1 Like

Can’t say I’ve ever polished anything by hand but I’m assuming it’s the same process. Basically you apply the compound and wipe it off the yoyo till your cloth comes back clean. I wouldn’t say it comes back sticky or anything like that.

Also if you apply a touch of this stuff after the polish, it makes it last a lot longer. It’s kind of expensive for what it is but still handy to have.

https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-XTL-8004-Wax-Polish-65ml/dp/B003AJWN62/ref=asc_df_B003AJWN62/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216503370645&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13415471779564664609&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029600&hvtargid=pla-350614618544&psc=1

4 Likes

Cool thanks! I think what I have is actually something like this so I might have misunderstood the op. Ooops! I’m going to just try it and see how it works!

For reference I use mothers mag for my al yoyos and meguiars for steel and ti. @GTDropKnot

5 Likes

I would probably casually have said no because I’ve never thought about polishing a yo-yo until now to be honest, I don’t really see the point if it’s something that literally goes in my greasy hand . But ima go polish my throws now why not. Lol

Yo-yo joe you’re from Idaho!!?? Damn that’s sick I didn’t know. I’m just down in Utah!

I’ve never cleaned or polished a yoyo…

1 Like

I have polished a few of my One Drop’s and A-RT’s that have the Pyrmatte finish, and it removes the layer of matte finish.
I love the polished look more than the matte, but this is something to keep in mind for those looking to polish their yo-yo’s.

I did this Sugar Glider by hand with metal polishing compound and microfibre cloth.

4 Likes