Thoughts on "Made in China"

On the other hand, if you buy stuff made in China, you’re helping out people who don’t necessarily have as many job opportunities as people in America. I can say from experience that you can make a living doing tons of random stuff in America, but that isn’t always possible in another country where lots of people struggle to feed themselves yet alone their family. I understand wanting to support American workers, but we’re really lucky with all the opportunities we have here. I don’t want to turn this into a political argument, but all I’ll say is that no matter how bad the job market is in America, there are still plenty of ways to make a nice living.

What are you saying here?

Fight, fight, fight. One Drop VS. YYF; to the death.

Well yeah, but my reasoning behind my purchasing decisions has nothing to do with any of that fluffy crap. I want to support people from my country, so I do.

Amen Brother!

Now as some of you may remember their have been times when I wanted to kidnapp Paul dang and hold him for ransom so I could afford the ciTIzen but even so Paul dang is a great guy and OD is deffinatly worth supporting. But so is YYF and so is CLYW and so is C3. where yoyo’s are made is not something to fight over there are Pro’s and Cons to both US and chinese manufacturing. Its not where the yoyo comes from its how the yoyo was made just because itsw from China doesn;t mean its bad. I love my made in the USA Chief its one of my favorite yoyo’s but I also love my Shutter and that thing was made in China. But its still a good yoyo.

IMO Buy whatever yoyo’s appeal to you and don’t worry so much about where the yoyo was made. Yes I like supporting the made in America stuff but thats because I live in america so of course I like doing that. But I’ll still buy a Chinese yoyo if I like it enough

I don’t mind a Chinese company making their yo-yos in China (C3), but I’d rather not get yo-yos that are designed outside of China and manufactured there for a cheaper cost.

Explanation of cause is not justification by reason… Does that saying apply here? Always had a hard time with that one.

The job opportunities we have in the USA will continue to dry up the more we outsource… Probably a good idea to try protecting them as much as we can then. Which brings me to - the choice not only lies with the consumer - it lies with the manufacturer as well.

Will the manufacturer choose to cut the necessary price point corners, will the manufacturer add to the outsourcing or stand up against it?

There is loads of business motiv to support outsourcing a product. It takes something a bit more special to have an internal desire to buy your own equipment, learn to run it, build everything yourself and still keep cost low = Rally, Benchmark.

1 Like

I like my job here in the USA and thanks to all those putting food on our dinner plates!

4 Likes

It’s a vicious cycle.

1. Consumers want cheaper prices
  2. Companies try to quench consumers thirst by outsourcing
  3. Consumers are up in arms. God bless America.
  4. Wait, we still want those cheaper prices
1 Like

And now we see how the ciTizen is REALLY made.

3 Likes

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but as for quality, aren’t nsk bearings made in China AND some of the highest quality?

My too hot came with a very, very slight imperfection in the finish, but it plays great.
I can’t complain about that when I got so much bang for my buck.

Also, in this case, I’m not sure this imperfection would have been caught even if it was made in the USA and I had paid $100 for it.

to elaborate…

In order to get it to $60 stuff was sacrificed too. Be it retail margins, wholesale margins or maybe even quality? I can’t say for sure and I certainly wouldn’t be bold enough to infer a brand driving prices down was cutting quality to achieve it.

I can state we saw a threat from a business model and made changes in origin of manufacture for some products as a survival tactic. We still exist so no regrets here. In the long run if this plays out I guess it comes down to just machine shops and chinese factories selling direct I guess the old style of business, the ‘yoyo brands’ go the way of Dinosaurs too. But change is constant. How long till we are all just downloading printable metal yo-yos anyway.

1 Like

NSK is JAPAN!

See I knew someone would correct me! :slight_smile:

Now THIS is what I call quality control at its finest :smiley:

1 Like

DOGMA link.

string made in mexico.
box printed in China.
bearing made in China.
axle made in USA.
Aluminum from USA.
Machined in USA.
Anodized in USA.
Assembled in USA.
Royalty paid to Russian Guy.
Designed in Czech Republic
By a Japanese Guy.
CAD by a Czech Guy.
Sold in Japan, Malaysia, China, Korea, Vietnam, Singapore, Australia, USA, Russia, Canada + (europe)

4 Likes

It’s whatever, we out here, we playin,

4 Likes

I think you messed that up. the quote goes like this. “But its like whatever we out here we good” - Charles Haycock

1 Like

Wait… Whuut?

I wouldn’t be so bold as to suggest that you are passive aggressively implying that Hans moved his manufacturing to China because he felt threatened by One Drop. But if you are, wow, I’m massively flattered :slight_smile:

The reason we can hit the $60 range is because we took the bold step of investing in our own yoyo factory, had the expertise to use it effectively, and the desire to provide maximum value to our customers. Glad you weren’t so bold because your guesses are incorrect: it was not done with margins or quality cuts. Nice try.

Given the cost of materials, labor, etc, going much lower without sacrificing quality is currently looking very difficult. Even to go from $60 to $58 with the latest Benchmark series required some serious innovation on the manufacturing side. But this is something we are always working on and we like passing the savings on to the customer.

Our yoyo BRAND is doing great. What machine shop sells direct that you perceive as such a big threat to our entire industry? Chin up my friend, no need to be so fatalistic, things are looking good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess I will just stick to being timid an unadventurous ;D

Play on!