This Community: Trust

So a little story:

I recently decide to sell my car and posted it on craigslist. Ive done some BSTing so you know I felt pretty confident in my abilities to haggle and be responsible. I had someone meet me to show them the car the first day. He was in the military (showed me his ID) and really needed a car. Being a nice person and to show support for our troops I lowered the price down by a few hundred dollars. Unfortunately I did not have the title notarized and this was a sunday so I could not sell the car right away. We had an agreement that he would meet me at my house again the next day to pick up the car. I took down the listing like I told him I would. Its monday 10 pm and I still have my car in my driveway. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and trusted him as I always try to do.

I came to the realiztion that this “BST” is not like the real world. There are some really nasty characters in both realms but in my experience the people here are some of the nicest and most caring people youll ever meet. People here go out of their way always willing to trust you and help out. Beezy is actually holding a yoyo for me until I receive funds coming from another trade. People like this are what make the community great. Though Ill continue to trust people like I have done so before in this community, I can no longer say the same for the rest of the world.

He was military! I’d like to think I can at least trust authority figures. He could have at least had the common decency to let me know he was not interested anymore so I could re-list it.

2 Likes

If this isnt in the right section please feel free to move mods.

I know it probably doesn’t feel like it right now, but you did do the right thing with the car. Members of our military (US or otherwise) are just like everyone else you’ll meet. There are the good and the bad, the extraordinary and the mundane. Giving him the benefit of the doubt was undoubtedly the right thing to do, but there is always the chance that someone will wrong you despite their social grouping or previous actions.

The BST here in the yoyoing community has been exceptionally great to me over the years. I remember trading with oldedges for a Magnum a long while back. It was one of my first trades and he walked me through it with utmost respect and care. I even came out ahead on the deal!

After all that I remember loaning yoyos to people with absolutely no fear or being scammed. I actually sent my Magnum, CODE1 (Nickel), Torrent II, and Septopus to GunstarHero without even telling him about it. He was quite surprised and immediately sent me a whole bunch of his most prized throws as compensation. We traded back after about a month and at no point during that exchange did I worry about a thing.

I feel the yoyoing community works the same way today, but there are always those who would do wrong to gain personal wealth. As long as you remain calm and careful with your dealings here and elsewhere, the opportunity for deceit is slim. I’m sorry you had to experience something negative outside of the yoyoing community, but at least you can come back here and know you’re among trustworthy people!

Take it from me bud, the military has its share of not nice people just like the civilian side. I may fight beside them and trust them to do their job, but I wouldn’t leave my wallet out while i went to the bathroom, if you know what I’m saying.

Thank you both for replying. I just feel really cruddy after he flaked on me. Especially since he was casually inserting his military background as a reason I should trust him. He went on some long speech about how he was a man of his word and nothing. It’s alright though. I just posted it again and I already have like 20 people on a list to go through.

Shhhhh… I am a cut-throat BST-er, don’t let the word get out that I am anything but. :slight_smile:

I actually had a couple near-deals from the BST fall through recently. Although I most appreciate when everyone is straightforward, people flake for all kinds of reasons, and some of them are legit reasons. You just can’t take it personally. I’ve had some crummy trading experiences and others that have gone above and beyond my expectations. I guess it evens out.

Good luck on the car, that’s a little setback and aggravating, but you’ll sell it in the end I’m sure.

I agree, this Community is awesome. I find most tight knit hobby enthusiast BST’s are pretty chill. There are indeed nasties out there, but the yoyo community is probably one of the best ones I’ve encountered.

Just tonight, Dingo54 decided he would send me a free FHZ. Such a generous and amazing action. Now I have to figure out what to send him for free ;D

The people in the yoyo community are no better or worse than the people in any other community. We’ve got our fair share of flakes and liars and cheats and thieves just like everywhere else.

I’ve seen a lot of them come and go at this point. Best policy is to be kind, be generous, but be firm and mindful of your own needs. That goes for pretty much everything in life, really.

Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel.

5 Likes

Well said…telling it like it is.

Best way to think about BST ever.

1 Like