The weird 'making yoyos trance'

You others manufacturers would know about this.

I hand turn my own yoyos, and when I have a whole day of producing them (like today), I go into this weird yoyo making robot state where I mechanically perform the motions without thought or feeling.

I assume for you guys that make metal yoyos, the whole assembling/testing/packaging stage would be a very similar experience for you.

11 Likes

Good to know you’re pouring your heart and soul into making every last yoyo Glen

6 Likes

Haha! I actually love making yoyos and really care about making a great product.

2 Likes

i know, i go into a very robotic state when machining my throws

jk i dont even make anything lol

2 Likes

I get into this state while pen making pretty often. I find I make the most mistakes in this state :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I get the opposite. It’s like I’m in the zone when I’m like this. I get zero B grades (at least today).

2 Likes

I work in a machine shop and have similar autopilot episodes. You just get in a groove with a good audiobook going and suddenly 6 hours go by and it’s time for dinner (I work 2nd shift)

3 Likes

What pens do you make fountain pens.

1 Like

But I bet you fall into a very robotic state so as to effectively do nothing.

You know it’s a developed skill to do nothing and make it look easy.

My secret is gold.

When I am doing something; I pretend that I am doing nothing.

Then at the end of the day; if I accomplish anything; I feel really good about that.

No matter how bad it comes out. If it amounts to anything resembling progress; it is better than nothing.

… On a more serious note. Years ago when I was really Modding yoyos; not only did I mod stuff for hours. But I would completely lose track of what time it was. I didn’t think about eating or drinking anything. I would seldom even think about random non-yoyo related thoughts.

I would just concentrate on cutting up stuff very, very accurately.

You become your own manual cad program. It’s a Zen like thing.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

1 Like

I get in a similar state when doing art. I call it The Zone.

3 Likes
4 Likes

All these years later and I still love this song…

1 Like

Occasionally image image

4 Likes

Do you also do yoyo mods @yoyospirit? Did you do one recently, a galaxy grail thing? I’m sure folks here would love to see it :wink:

Haha I guess I am kinda a jack of all trades. I’ll put up some pics in a bit.

1 Like

Yeah would love a “best of yoyospirit mods” topic :heart_eyes:

1 Like

There is one, I’m just too lazy to update it haha :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I can help you update it, if you bump it by replying so it’s easier for me to find it!

3 Likes

Not yoyo making but I’m very famiar with this trance like state as I enter it sometimes when blowing glass.

I agree that I tend to do some of my best work like this. My spinning is so much more even and less shaky. Never done lathe work of any sort, but I’m saving up to hopefully get myself a glass lathe in the future. They’re way pricier than your average wood/metal lathe, and have to be absolutely true or everything gets all twisted to hell when the glass gets hot and soupy. One day.

Really would love to check out a shop and see someone work a mill/lathe making yoyos.

2 Likes