The Unofficial YoYoExpert FAQ

Ok, since I mentioned it. I thought I’d try and put something together for everyone. It’s obviously nowhere near done, but I’m peckin’ away as fast as I can! :wink:

I would love opinions on this. Please!

Edit: Ok, I see someone else had the same idea! Nice! Perhaps some of this could be of use to you?

The Unofficial YoYoExpert FAQ

First of all, if you’re reading this, congratulations! You’ve found us, and chances are have at least a passing interest in our great hobby! If you’re new and/or still on the fence, please peruse this document just as soon as you can. It will prove invaluable in getting you started on our website, getting you set up with the right equipment, and letting you have fun as soon as possible. If you’re an Old Master and are just new to us, please at least read the first section of this FAQ. It might save everyone involved unnecessary stress. :-]

So, without further ado!

Section 1: “Umm, I’m new here.”

Ok, what is YoYoExpert.com exactly, and who are you folks?

Well, YYE.com is the brainchild of one Mr. Andre Boulay! He’s the current Captain of Team YoYoJam, a National Master, and the “man behind the curtain” here on our wonderful slice of cyberspace.

One of Andre’s personal visions is to, in his own words, “make the simple amazing!” To take the Art of Yo, help you realize that there’s not a bit of it beyond your reach, and then make it shine to all who see you work, yourself included!

Sound good to you? I thought it might. ;-]

Now, it goes just a little deeper. Pay attention closely now…

It’s also a held belief in these parts that the yo-yo is more than just a toy, rather it is a tool that can be used in life for an unlimited amount of possibilities.

Confused yet? Don’t sweat it, you’ll catch on quick!

As for the rest of us, myself included, we’re just ordinary folks who love the yo. We hope you’ll fit right in!

Sounds good! How can I start posting here?

Well, you’ve taken your biggest and smartest step just by reading this. Once you get through it, you’ll be ready to go! Of course, if you’re looking to dive right in I’ll try to keep this short…

First, go ahead and register an account so you can post, but please bear just a few things in mind. Read these carefully, as they are important!

1. We know you might have a ton of questions. We’re hoping if you can just make it through this very FAQ, we will have answered them all. We also know this isn’t exactly realistic, and there’s always going to be something new to learn from the community. With this said, [i][b]before you ask a question please read the entirety of this FAQ, then use the search feature in the forums, and see if what you need to know has been discussed before.

We cannot stress this first one enough. Please search before posting. It cuts down on quite a bit of stress amongst the forum regulars.[/b][/i]

Of course, don’t let this stop you from posting if you still have a question. If folks can see that you’ve been through this FAQ, and looked for an answer, they’ll be more than happy to help if you still need it. The regulars don’t bite… Much… ;-]

1. Keep your posts relevant and in the appropriate categories. In the General area, for example, we’d like to talk about yo-related topics. You might want to stay away from discussing cooking recipes there. Just a thought. (Bonus Tip: Yoyos are not edible. Don’t cook them.)

2. No disrespect. None. At all.

There is a zero-tolerance policy here for posts that discriminate against or belittle a person or group’s race, nationality, religion, gender, sexual preference, perceived intelligence, appearance, or disability.

Should you feel the need to make a comment even bordering on anything above, just step away from the keys. Even if you’re really angry. It’s just not worth it. Give yourself the chance to not make what will be a fundamental and irreversible mistake. If you don’t feel you owe this to us, for whatever reason, you at least owe it to yourself.

1. Profanity is a no-no as well. It’s unwise to get your potty mouth flushed by a moderator.

2. Finally, do you best to make sure any post you make is legible and understandable. We understand that for some, English may not be your native tongue. Just do your best, and we’ll do ours. Promise!

Section 2: “Ok, got it. But I don’t have a yoyo!”

Ok, you’ll be needing to get one of those, then! Allow us to help you!

Chances are, you’ve looked at them on the internet, or seen friends playing with them. They come in all manner of shapes, sizes, and colors. They certainly seem to have unique and cool names. But which ones are right for you? Let’s find out…

No matter your skill level, you have a good number of options to choose from. It would actually be far too great a task to list them all here, but we’ll talk about some of the more popular choices so you’re that much closer to finding the fit that’s right for you!

Putting as much personal bias aside as possible, there are a couple of companies you should be looking at. They are, in no particular order, YoYoJam, YoYoFactory, and Duncan. Somewhere within the products lines of these companies we will find what we’re looking for. So, let’s start looking, shall we?

Feel free to click on any of the names below and be taken to YoYoExpert’s online store, where you can both learn about the yo and even order one when you’re ready to take that first step! And don’t be afraid if you read or see things that don’t quite make sense yet. Read on, and all will become clear.

It’s also worth noting that the following lists are in no way exhaustive, these companies make much more than we’re talking about, we’re just trying to get you on the right track quickly.

YoYoJam, for New Players! (These will be great for folks who’ve never thrown.)

How about the Journey?

Into Karate? Don’t miss the Kickside.

Big Ben. Not just a clock in London.

YoYoFactory, for New Players!

It’s not just quick. The Fast 201.

Can I help? I’m gonna start more posts for new people.

Don´t forget the velocity. :wink:

Wow, necro. Please look how old the last post is before you post again.

Wow, for a second here I thought he was posting again!

I know, me too. :-\

You weren’t even here when he was posting. -.-

I guess he’s heard stories.

1 Like

well that does not really mean much.
i was not here when he was and yet i still read many a post from him. :slight_smile:

Yep. And use the search button.