The story behind that yo-yo finger angiogram you've probably seen

“Angiogram showing damaged/decreases vascular tissue in the index finger of a yo-yo master.”

This does keep popping up all over the web as a viral image… and courtesy @DocPop there’s an video explainer with Dazzling Dave Schulte about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAR8PCimfWo

TL;DR there was a vasiospasm in the finger that was blocking off the blood flow.

He went on blood thinners, but the side effects were quite bad so he quit after a while. The good news is that this seemed to fix the blockage, and his finger got back to normal.

“If I took another angiogram it’d probably be much, much better.”

It wasn’t like yo-yos regularly damage your finger this way… the way he describes it, it was the yo-yo returning to his hand really hard over and over that the doctor said could trigger it.

Also note that he puts the string on the other finger…

… so the problem finger wasn’t the one with the string on it.

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced tendonitis or RSI or recurring finger pain from yo-yos?

7 Likes

As we continuously perform throws the string becomes harder and harder at the finger. so I always lose it or remove the loop to make it looser. I think palm rotations help in continuous blood flow.

Why in that pic I see less nerves on that finger?

Yoyo finger angiogram- EXPOSED

The x-ray takes a picture of bloodflow, not nerve fibers.

4 Likes

Those are blood vessels, not nerves. Dave had vasoconstriction (constricted blood vessels) that restricted blood flow.

3 Likes

So what’s the conclusion?

1 Like

Conclusion: just because you play yo-yo a ton doesn’t mean that will happen to your finger. It was specific to his body and situation, and he made a more or less full recovery with the blood thinners.

3 Likes

Ok, plus it is hard to believe him as the only side affects we get are pain when the finger is getting used to it, after it’s just a small area where the string rest and for some a slightly fattened part of the finger in front

However, he did say his finger was numb and started to turn purple. If you EVER have symptoms anything like that with your hand or fingers DEFINITELY go to a doctor ASAP!! :woman_health_worker:

5 Likes

Yep, that would be because of their being no blood flow

2 Likes

So why would he make a false statement? He plays much more frequently than you ever will so…

1 Like

idk It’s just that world class people don’t have problems

Also because the problem is on his index finger

I have carpal tunnel and some repetitive stress induced tendinitis, but both are less of an issue since I throw stalls all the time lol. They flare up when I throw harder but small price to pay?

5 Likes

Note that the injury is not from the string but the impact of catching the yoyo…

1 Like

I’ve had my yoyo return and hit my index finger at the right spot that it goes numb from the pain.

2 Likes