The same yo-yo in plastic, metal, and bimetal?

Nah, you can compare screenshots on other sites that take much better close up pictures than I do. You’re right that there is that additional bowl step, and that’s it. The bowl isn’t wider.

2 Likes

Bimetal 7075 vs 6061?

7075 is 63.9g, 6061 is 66.5g

3 Likes

Wow. I dig that wine red color!

5 Likes

It’s a long story but I ended up with another Horizon Ultra from a trade, and I also had another one left over from a half swap.

This time I removed the axle and bearing because the results were so weird and I wanted to reduce variables:

Horizon Ultra (purple) – 61.1g
Horizon Ultra (purple/teal swap) – 61.4g

I think I either need a better more accurate scale… or there’s a lot more variance in metal yo-yos than I realized. I checked the axle and it’s the same size (length) on these two.

I weighed the bearing and axle together and that’s 2.6g. For both of them, the same number. Which means the bare weight of the other one must be 61.5g.

Let me try this again. All three, with axle and bearing (2.6g each):

Horizon Ultra Splash - 64.0g
Horizon Ultra Purple - 64.0g
Horizon Ultra Teal/Purple - 63.6g

3 Likes

Firrox/Hidra family is a very large set of yoyos.

2 Likes

isnt the yyf edge/wedge a plastic/bimetal set?

3 Likes

Not really. They are shaped quite differently. The only thing they have in common is the player who endorses them. In fact, all of the yoyos in the “Edge” line are pretty different from each other, and not really representative of an attempt to bring a single design aesthetic to three different material formats.

5 Likes

i thought they were the same shape. well thanks for telling me that

3 Likes

When comparing the Banshees available for preorder yesterday, the 7075 was 2.2g heavier than the 6061, and all other dimensions are identical.

Agreed, I would say the closest would be the wedge and kedge, but even those two are a bit different from each other. Think the only thing they really share is a naming scheme

3 Likes

Hah! I have a more accurate scale now, $10 on Amazon. It shows both tenths and hundredths positions (that is, 0.00). It says “accuracy ±0.01g” which jibes with m readings.

For this random Abduction I just got:

• short axle, 0.42g
  • bearing, 1.97g
  • half #1, 32.62g
  • half #2, 32.66g

It’s YOYO SCIENCE PEOPLE :man_scientist:

Aha the vendor replied in the amazon comments “the minimum weight is about 0.05g, error range ±0.03g.”

3 Likes

Re-weighing these with my more accurate scale. All measured with axle and bearing, no string.

64.00g

66.43g

Horizon 7075 is 2.4 grams lighter :balloon:

66.35g

63.70g

Wulfgang 7075 is 2.6 grams lighter :balloon:

66.65g

65.00g

Skyva 7075 is 1.6 grams heavier :weight_lifting_man:

WITH BEARING, 66.85g

WITH BEARING, 66.42g

Gravitation 7075 is 0.43 grams heavier :weight_lifting_man:

CLYW 6061 Scout 65.76g
CLYW 7075 Advance Scout 66.97g

Let me try one more, this is a new one. Scout 7075 is 1.21g heavier :weight_lifting_man:

Results are … indeterminate. Two were lighter (by more than 2g), and three were heavier, but not by as much (1.6g max).

(The data is a whoooooole lot better with a scale accurate to ±0.03g versus ±1g!)

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have any AL7 G2 stuff (with the exception of an elite, but I am worried different ring material will color my results) but I know you’ve released a bunch of AL7 versions of your core models, right @G2_Jake?

Looking at 2016 Hawk vs. AL7 2016 Hawk:

6061 7075
Diameter 54.0mm 54.0mm
Width 41.3mm 41.3mm
Weight 62.2g 64.7g

That is a 2.5g difference. Factor in the recent 2018 Banshees:

This says to me that re-casting a yo-yo in 7075 vs 6061, assuming all other specs are identical, should make it 2.0g ~ 2.5g :weight_lifting_man: heavier? And I guess that weight difference would increase as the yo-yo gets larger?

@G2_Jake Did you have any comments as to the difference in weight and feel between the 6061 and 7075 version of the exact same yo-yos?

6 Likes

The ND/Horizon Ultra definitely were designed with thinner walls to reduce the overall weight, compared to their 6061 counterparts.

3 Likes

Replay Pro metal and Replay Pro plastic. These are rather different.

image image

65.0g metal, 68.0g plastic

7 Likes

Man I want one of those. Replay Pro is my goto plastic, only makes sense to have a metal one too. I saw one up for sale a while back on Facebook but the guy wouldn’t send me any pictures so I got a little sketched

8 Likes

The metal one is kinda ugly and doesn’t look like a great yoyo imo :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A metal Replay Pro? I didn’t know such a thing existed. I presume they are no longer made?

4 Likes

It’s kind of like the Shu-Ta 2, it’s some special run they did that went out really limited somehow.

3 Likes

I noticed the 7075 Skyva does say it should be heavier, so I am thinking this is the general rule:

The 7075 Metal Skyva shares the same shape and design as the 6061 counterpart, but because of the unique density of 7075 it weighs a solid 67 grams, which is a few more than the 6065 version. A more powerful spin was the focus with this model, and that’s exactly how it feels in play - Powerful!

1 Like

It was a mystery box yo-yo a few years back.

2 Likes