The physics behind spin times, speediness, and float

Never mind, I found it on the image. :wink:

Is the author listed? Maybe I could contact the author?

Thank you, Jeff

Yes he is/was a kind of famous in the scene :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I saw the YoYo Wiki link. I tried Pencil Point Press with no luck so far. I will keep looking. Thank you.

1 Like

I found this link that has two of the five pamphlets available.

It may be the only source. :frowning:

2 Likes

I also have zero details on the Pencil Point Press.

I found a good address for Don Watson. He is 98. I don’t think I will bother him.

1 Like

Apparently Kyle Weems has the PDFs of all 5 volumes, and released them for free somewhere.

4 Likes

Alas, seems like a dead end. No activity since 2016 or so.

Too bad.

1 Like

If you are interested in something particular I can take some pictures. Make a PDF of all of them will take a bit too long for me right now.

2 Likes

He’s here on Yoyoexpert: @kyo

Here goes the :us: patent rights system :joy:

1 Like

You rang? I don’t check the forum but I do get notifications of mentions usually :slight_smile:

The link to all notebooks is here, let me know if it doesn’t work I haven’t checked it in a while. Don gave me all publishing rights to them, so it’s legit.

http://www.nothingtoseehere.info/yoyo/Don_Watson_YoYo_Physics_1-5.zip

I have more of his work that wasn’t published as well, need to scan that eventually. At some point the plan is to make all these books interactive just haven’t had time for the project.

16 Likes

Thank you! Zip file seems to work!

1 Like

I might not be very significant but I would say it is relevant because most players with fast freestyle tends to have a more sharpy edge yoyo, one example is that Yoyorecreation line in 2010 is mostly V-shape to make it fits playstyle of the team.

I would not say adding dimple haha jk. But the point here is that it is harder (I would not say impossible) to go for speed with organic yoyo like. But when it comes to speed, most choice would be V shape, W shape or H shape with sharp end (I don’t know how to describe this but example would be Draupnir or Onslaught)

1 Like

Is that because they move faster or some other reason, e.g. a wider catch zone requires less precision during fast play?

1 Like

That is a very nice offer. I am mostly curious and wanted to engage in interesting physics.

I think I have found enough related articles to satisfy my curiosity.

If I ever do run across a full or partial set, I will definitely buy them right away.

Thank you,
v/r
Jeff

Wow! Thank you very much!

Jeff

1 Like

If I will come across more originals I will pull up this thread again potentially :smile:. Kyo posted the PDF with all five so happy reading.

It does base on my experience. Like one example I have is the TISS yoyo that I have and a Luftverk 000 with both around same weight at 63.2 gram. But 000 tends to be lighter but more fit of technical play while the Tiss (which is a little denser due to Tiss rim) moves way faster because it has a sharper design, a V shape one

3 Likes