The Next Modern Classic

I think a modern classic is something that will stand the test of time, that will still be used years from now. Modern in some ways but classic in others.

8 Likes

I think the A-RT Grail would fit the bill here.

2 Likes

I might add that yo-yos that are either hard to find or maintain a high enough resale value to not be accessible to many player’s cannot be deemed a classic IMO.

If you talk to 100 throwers and only 5 of them have played it then it’s obvious it hasn’t reached a big enough demographic to be widely coveted.

For example, Air Jordan 1 “Chicago” is an extremely coveted collectors sneaker, especially from a nostalgia standpoint, but that nostalgia only exists in so many people because 20-30 years ago those shoes were EVERYWHERE. Now we see alternative color-ways that maintain less value, but if not for the OG Jordan 1 colorways, they wouldn’t have a cult like following.

If it’s too rare (even if its really good) then I wouldn’t consider it a classic, it would just be a collectors item.

I haven’t read through the whole thread if someone made a point like this already, just my two cents

10 Likes

Right. Some yoyos only had 30 or less made and very few people mention them and some of those people have multiples so…

3 Likes

Shutter and MMC

5 Likes

That’s a valid point. Would you put the End 2 in this category?

Yup, a limited release can hardly become a classic.

3 Likes

If i told you to give it 5 years would you have optimism?

Ive been throwing for over a decade and only learned about RSO from these forums recently so I don’t think i can confidently answer that

1 Like

I’m not a huge fan of the RSOnbrand, but the yoyo itself, yeah, it’s worthy, but their are only OG Peak numbers out there.

The Peak went in for more runs though whereas the End won’t, so it won’t be legendary by the masses, but it will be to some of the die hards

2 Likes

RSO is a rather new brand with their first release in 2019. Their collaborations and luxury niche is what has given RSO notoriety. Also just the amount of releases in such a short time frame mainly with Sonny from Anti-Yo. Titanium is now becoming common place, compared to a couple years ago, so only time will tell.

For me Classic means “Timeless”

8 Likes

I’d say the shutter but also the original edge or wedge.

3 Likes

Just the fact that people are still talking about a yoyo first released in 2014 is an indication that it is something special. The design, the feel, the story behind it and Montgomery himself are all part of yoyo culture and I can’t really think of many people that would debate that. The design is beautiful yet simplistic and the shape influenced dozens of other organic throws with a performance edge.

2 Likes

100% a “Timeless” Classic.

Its also has had several runs, so its not exclusive or retired, more of a staple.

5 Likes

I would say years from now we will be talking about the chopsticks gorilla as the modern day Draupnir. Let’s see how this post ages

3 Likes

i wouldn’t say modern day draupnir just yet. it’s a great yoyo much like any YYR is but i feel like the draup is in a league all on its own. i feel like play-wise they’re going for different things what with the chopstix being midsized and weighing at 65g.

1 Like

Just my opinion - like I said - we will see how my post ages :wink:

3 Likes