The most unresponsive pads you know!

Hello guys,

Please I am looking for the most unresponsive pads you know, I enjoy to play with very used pads, I love to keep them until destroyed and the more used are the more I enjoy them, so I would like to find the most unresponsive in the market.

I do lot of combos where I feed lot of string on the bearing and go against the yoyo natural rotation with a breakaway so sometimes I have to fight with the feeling of the yoyo binding back in my hand during a trick.

I did studied some tricks like keeping the string in tension, in this way I can avoid a bit this stuff.

Part of this is also a bit of my fault because I highly love fat strings, I use zipline, monkey fingers phat and aceyo as string and them are all quite on the big diameter.

Do you know any pad that get consumed very easily or even better that is very “weak” from the beginning?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you looked into “Flowable Silicon” responce?

4 Likes

I used it for soooo many years, in Italy we used to have the Motorsil D, I tried the red one that you can find in USA (and also in UK) but is not the same thing, is very hard to apply properly and when cure it leave some marks on the silicone itself, didn’t liked it at all so I passed to pads but I don’t find any that really suit me

That’s my go to. I have a pile of response pads I’ll probably never use because I eventually found the courage to do flowable and haven’t turned back.

There are several types that can be used. MonkeyFinger makes a yoyo specific one.

My thought was you could not fill the responce recess all the way. Leaving the silicon a little below the wall of the yoyo.

1 Like

Ah yes I used to do that technique with the card.
I used to love siliconing with the Motorsil D, maybe i have to try the transparent flowable permatex instead of his red version.

Sadly the monkeyfinger is out of my league is impossible to find it in Uk

1 Like

HKMT Grip-I pads are what you want. They’re the hardest response pads HKMT offers and slightly more slim than average 19mm pads. Grip-C is also slimmer and harder than the majority of 19mm pads, but Grip-I is harder/less responsive.

HKMT pads are sized to fit old yoyorec models which had slightly more shallow response grooves, so they’ll sit a little recessed in the average modern yoyo.

Japan Technology pads are also very hard, really a lot of offstring oriented pads would probably work for you. Grip-I should be the most readily available.

7 Likes

Thanks for the answer Mable, there is something that replace all those pads? I had a look online and them seems all out of stock everywhere!

I DM’d you a direct link to where they’re in stock.

But as a cheaper alternative you could maybe try is the old white yoyofactory response pads. Those are definitely on the harder end of the spectrum, but not as much as Grip-I pads.

thank you @mable for beating me to it, was gonna recommend those pads lol. i couldnt remember where i had seen them, but i remember seeing a brand that was specifically talking about how hard they were to not grip so much.

2 Likes

Recessed silicone response is the fastest and the most efficient way to get the kinda response you want. @IoSonoFormaggio uses permatex ultra grey and it works crazy good.

1 Like

Whatever response pads come with the JDS Shutter. I think yyf white pads.

• Black matte pads (very unresponsive…it plays like it’s not even there rip)
  • S.A.Y Candy pads pink pads (a bit pricey)

You probably want anything below 1.0mm thickness and higher in the hardness rating.

2 Likes

I’ve had a really good experience with permatex brand clear flowable silicon (not the clear gasket maker), i think it’s better than another clear “flowable silicon” brand and better than the red gasket maker.

1 Like

I use the “slim” pads from One Drop when I want to heavily recess a pad without using flowable.

1 Like

I really think you should give silicone a shot again.

/rant

I throw the thickest string you can find from P44, and make my own string at home which is also thicker than anything on the market. Because of this, all of my yoyos are recessed silicone - not to mention how cheap it is. $8~ for a tube and it can do my entire collection that consists of random response sizes. Compare that to me trying to find pads that work specifically for each individual yoyo - like my v1 Magnolia that only takes a specific type of pad. Do I even know or care what pad it takes? Nope, cause I silicone everything.

Permatex 81730 flows the best, self levels, and leaves no bumps, holes, divets, and doesnt require a Card to apply. It’s not the hardest, maybe more towards the softer spectrum of Silicones, but I’ve got 0 complaints with it.

You can mix different types too, to get different hardness levels that you desire. So you could mix Ultra Grey and Ultra Black to get something inbetween the two hardness.

I just simply don’t think Pads are going to be a good option for you and the way you throw, meaning multiple string layers and thick string. They are NOT “standard” even if someone says so, a lot of pads and response wells are mismatched sizes.

The main thing is, I don’t think pads should be flush at all. And the real issue is that often times yoyos come from the factory with protruding pads as well. What’s the point of making a performance yoyo where your string is rubbing on the response pad the whole time killing the yoyo. So the chances that you find a pad you like, that fits ALL your yoyos is going to be very low.

Another Douska Stock Photo with the pads exposed - There’s a lot of stock photos of yoyos like this if you start looking for it.

The response well should be a fo-mo schmoove groove with the response recessed so that it only touches the rubber when you want the string to engage with it to perform a bind - it should never touch the string otherwise.

snap of the MoNo with snowtires, Tighter Gap width, but recessed so it’s effectively a 4.8 gap width if you’re measuring from the pad instead of the wall. I believe they said it was a mistake, but to me it’s how it should be.

How it shouldn’t be.

6 Likes