The Making of a Spinworthy Yoyo (Now actually works)

Hi everyone. Here is a video of me making a yoyo. It’s really poor quality, but it will give you the idea.

Feel free to ask any questions about tools or processes that may not have been clear.

28 Likes

Thanks

Thanks. I’m excited to watch this. I’ll keep checking back to see when it’s up. I need to get a Spinworthy in my collection.

1 Like

The video is set to private

3 Likes

Yea, I can’t see it either :frowning:

5 Likes

It isn’t:(

1 Like

Still set to private @Glenacius_K.

1 Like

Ok. NOW it works for sure!!

3 Likes

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Really cool! Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

That’s really great @Glenacius_K. Do you use a jointer or planer to get the wood to its initial thickness? Also, is that 10 playing cards thickness?

Thanks again man. Really informative. :slight_smile:

Awesome! I was wondering if you still used the double sided tape method. What is the size of the axle and the size of the bit for the hole?

1 Like

Noice. Amazing how simple and easy you make it all look. And of course how great they always turn out.

1 Like

A thicknesser would be ideal for me. It would cut my production time by a huge amount, but alas, I don’t have one.

The wood I have used in the video was purchased in the correct thickness, but I have lots of timbers that are too thick, so I scrape them down on the lathe to the correct thickness.

I use 8 or 9 playing cards usually, depending on the model.

I use an 8mm bit with an 8mm axle. Tolerances seem tight enough with what I have.

It seems like a lot of manufacturers use 1/4" axles, but I have been unimpressed by the durability with this diameter, especially with walnut or birch. I used to do this too, but I found children were able to snap them really easily with regular use. I upgraded to 8mm so that kids couldn’t break them with high impact ground hits. I have found this diameter to not effect spin time too much and also improve responsiveness.

2 Likes

This is the coolest thing I’ve seen in a while. Love the yoyo break while the laser engraving is done.

Also, why acetone on the axle holes?

1 Like

Good question. The acetone step is a new thing I’ve been doing. Sometimes the glue has failed and I have put it down to two things; my glue was too old and some woods too oily. The acetone in the holes helps to clean away the oil, resulting in a stronger, more reliable bond.

I have also replaced my glue with a more flexible type, it should hold up to impact and atmospheric changes better.

2 Likes

Sorry to revive,
but this is one of the best vids i’ve seen. I’ve not long finished making a lathe, and was thinking of some useful project to try.
So a couple of questions what are the 4 holes for ? and what gouges did you use.

I’ve never tried turning before so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

That video was complete poo. Lol.

It features terrible angles and some of what I was doing was off camera.

This video was me making my most basic model, so there are other process I use for more complicated models.

Here I use a 1/2" flat end scraper and a 1/4" spindle gouge.

The four holes help the yoyo to return and regen properly. It also helps translate the power of your throw into spin.

Don’t be so critical. It was in focus :smile:. It also gave me enough inspiration to have a go. Not saying that it will be anygood or that the sides will be equal, but their was enough for me to try.

2 Likes