The "I Finally Landed It!" Thread

Getting a kick out of adding new tricks that once would have been nearly impossible but are now a few minutes of practice. Most recent one was President’s Bind. As it turns out, I don’t love the feeling of the “unwinding into the bind” but the first moves are still “new feeling” to me… I don’t have any other tricks that do those. So on the whole, a fun trick to do!

Reverse inverted green triangle 720 suicide. Had a combo involving a inverted gt suicide for a long time but just felt that a reverse one would make use of the momentum better.

That’s the good stuff right there!

Came up/ discovered a pretty cool slack GT coming off of a yuuki slack type movement.

Branding and jade whip! I’m feeling pretty good right now!

Branding! Rough as all get-out… but landed nonetheless!

after throwing it for the last month and a half, I FINALLY have Tyler S’s “I be a Minute GT” on lockdown. BOOM.

Now that you’ve got it on lock the “proper” way… try doing it off a front throw. Reward your efforts by allowing yourself to do it the easier way. :wink: Hardly any accidental snags/binds off the front throw.

?
I just tried it and wasnt met with any snag, unless you count those cases when you failed to let the loop open properly to begin with on the initial mount.

Not sure why I’m getting called out for something I know to be true. :wink: I’m glad your technique is great, but it’s not really about the loop. It’s about your position on the cross-segment when you land. If you’re not right in the middle, when you “give” a bit during the landing or right before the flips, you can easily feed the loop (even a proper nice open one) into the gap.

On the front throw, for whatever reason on an imperfect landing the spin direction causes the loop to not be fed into the gap but to be “rejected” (not in the true yoyo “rejection” sense of the word) away so it doesn’t get sucked up and just stays dangling.

In which exact step did you encounter said snag? During the sling or at the final unwind to GT?

Maybe this is a matter of semantics? Not “snag” so much as the loop feeding into the gap, depositing a big unwieldly mess that causes the yoyo to die.

I already explained when it happens…! Seriously. I don’t know “why” exactly because I’m sure you’re not intending to be confrontational or anything (on the contrary, you’re super friendly and helpful around here) but I have to admit, having to explain this is getting under my skin.

If the string winds up right into the initial mount you could always raise either of your hands to let it roll off. If the yoyo binds up in the end because the GT cant open wide enough, after rechecking the tut video frame by frame, I think it s probably because u r doing the underpass too early. The GT is pulled open by a momentum to the left, so the underpass should happen after the yoyo has passed the lowest point.

There’s no underpass in the traditional sense of the word, so I’m not sure which part you’re referring to.

1: landing on the string segment. The slack loop marked red is then twisted back into a parallel position with the left side of the yoyo gap.
2-3: Position of the marked segment in the slack during the sling
4: Yoyo has passed its lowest point and is moving left-up. Unwinding/un’derp’assing/watever movement with the TH causes the yoyo to drop onto this red marked slack segment, which has always been kept parallel to the yoyo gap since the 1st step. The solid red marked part and the yellow marked part together constitutes the right (free) side of the resulting GT, and could wind up into the yoyo if they are too long compared to the other 2 triangle sides. However, since the yoyo is moving toward left into the closed end of this loop, the loop will be shortened and the triangle widened to prevent this.

While I appreciate that you are going to efforts, I’m not sure why. :wink: I can do it both ways and I understand the mechanics of the trick. Where the string sometimes gets fed into the gap in a snaggly way is in the first picture. As I thought I’d already stated, it’s in that very first landing. The rest of the pics are irrelevant to it. You go from the breakaway to the cross-arms landing. If the landing isn’t perfect or you don’t transition perfectly into the flips, the spinning yoyo (due to particular spin direction) can grab the loop and feed it.

I have no doubt and have never claimed to the contrary that it’s an artifact of the learning phase or a more deliberate play style; as such, it occurs less as you get better at the trick. You land the yoyo and while you’re preparing for the flip (vs. a skilled person actually going directly into the flip) it can get all derped. The slack is hanging below the yoyo because you’re taking your time and setting it up or you’re simply not as graceful or fluid as someone else.

The fact that it took Turbyonium, me, and at least Alex Gallimore (I don’t have an exhaustive list of other players on hand) a significant amount of time to get this right implies that there is a phase where you’re NOT doing it perfectly. And it’s an imperfect execution that causes the snarl. An imperfect execution on the front throw is far less likely to snarl.

I tried to be polite about how this is getting under my skin, but it’s REALLY annoying to have to explain this… it’s not like I’m fabricating a story about how front throws work more effortlessly and are more forgiving. What do I have to gain by such a claim? Who would even MAKE that claim if it wasn’t true.

Of all the weird things to try to call someone out on…

I love how greg argues he’s so good at it, yet still nice and respectful. I wish that ALL people could be like greg.

2 Likes

Haha! You do not know what you are asking for! Take it back, quick!

OK I take it back!! Haha :wink:

When I read here I figured its just that we represent two different approaches to learn this (or any) trick. For some reason, psychological or not, when I just started yoyoing I found that I could never get a trick just by practicing alone and trying to ‘‘hit the right feeling’’ randomly, even if many claim they could. As this idea grows on me I have become a firm believer in that there is no accident in yoyoing. To learn a trick I believe I must take notice of every detail in the mechanism of the movements and exactly replicate every single one of them. If I miss a trick I always try to convince myself there is an exact reason behind it. For example, if it were I who kept getting a snag on a side breakaway, I wouldnt think I d get any better even after learning the trick on a front throw. Obviously neither mindset is superior in either efficiency or efficacy; they are just different habits taken by different people. There are major drawbacks as experienced by me as well, such as if I cant follow a blurred transition in a video I just cant get it right no matter how hard I try to ‘experiment’.