The Ginger Assassin - First time in 30 years!

5 Likes

Amazing!!! Ginger Assassin has got to be the greatest nickname ever too!!!

1 Like

@hobbygod i think you need to do a rose gold version of your latest design and call it the Ginger Assassin.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl: possibly but I’m scared to have an entire yoyo electroplated

2 Likes

bowling is bada$$

when i grew up we had candlepin style, which was invented in rhode island, but only popular (i believe) around parts of new england and canada.

this is is different then the other ‘small ball’ style
you’ll see sometimes. and i don’t know how many candlepin alleys you can find these days

1 Like

Going for fun with friends we got hooked trying to get better. They ran a starters package deal with the pro shop and you got a reactive ball, shoes, and bag for less than $150. A good local alley that oils it’s lanes daily and is for the league types as kids or casual players really made a difference too.

2 Likes

What is a reactive ball?

1 Like

They have a special designed core to aid in the ball hooking down lane. You can go from mild to wild in reaction. A standard ball is just solid material and is what you use for free in the alley.

Edit:

2 Likes

WoW! Never knew such a ball existed! I’d love to try one! Are these allowed in league and/or tournament play?

1 Like

A bowling ball with the reactive core design is like a hand grenade. Concentrate, coordinate, facilitate and launch it close to the target…>

And it will do the rest…

Kinda like playing tag with a claw hammer.

Or putting a roll of quarters in your hand before you slug somebody.

3 Likes

i knew a kid in high school that killed someone doing that… a kid that was bullied and carried around a roll of quarters literally killed one of his bullies when they jumped him
after school…

i like candlepin bowling better

2 Likes

So… I assume it’s banned in tournament play then.

1 Like

I imagine they could throw a punch either way. Just quarters doesn’t give you natural KO power, but it sure helps. I would recommend Iron Hand training. Takes longer though. :slight_smile: Like Pan Qing Fu who single handed brought down several Triad members said, “with hands of iron, if I touch you, you go unconscious”. If you dedicate 6 to 9 months to proper training you will be amazed at what you can do. Not to other people, but for yourself.

They’re considered standard for tourney or pro players. With the oil patterns they use these days, it’s tough. You will see pro’s rotate through several balls with different reaction strengths and timing as the lanes break down through a tourney. Right and left handed players will actually throw across another players pattern to burn that part of the lane out faster as a strategy. They’ll even have the same ball drilled differently to react more/less.

4 Likes

Had no idea it was so intricate with oil patterns etc… Seems counter-intuitive that the pros could use them. Kinda feels equivalent to letting a pro use an aluminum baseball bat or something.

1 Like

They’ve been the standard balls for so long I guess I never noticed. Look up the PBA oil patterns. Here they are: Bowling Oil Patterns Explained (2022 Complete Guide)
A standard oil pattern will actually help rec players and funnel the ball to the head pin. But the pro’s have moved to oil patterns that are the opposite.

The two handed bowlers are something else too! Belmonte (world champ) doesn’t use a thumb hole but can out rev any 1 handed bowler. Some say it’s not fair, but it’s within the rules. It’s fun to bowl 2 handed to watch the ball reaction, even with house balls.

Just drilling a ball is beyond me. They have programs to do it in the pro shops.

A great documentary to watch is ‘A League of Ordinary Gentlemen’. Bowling was the top sport in the 50’s iirc and then dropped out. Hired a ‘hype’ man and he brought it back with TV’s help. Interesting for sure. It’s free on VUDU (with adds) and youtube.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/A-League-of-Ordinary-Gentlemen/59779

2 Likes