The 2019 World Yo-Yo Contest Thread

Hey, any idea when the women’s or over forty division results will be posted? If you want scoring controversy, figure out the right score adjustments for Val in the over-40!

6 Likes

I know betty won womans, mir kim 2nd and tessa 3rd.

1 Like

Anyone know what the largest winning margin for a main division at worlds is? Like difference in score between 1st and 2nd.

Who’s got it? Hajime, Takeshi, Shinji, Rei, Hank? Pretty sure I’ve seen those 5 win by +10 before, idk about 15 or 20 though.

1 Like

All results are here:

http://iyyf.org/wyyc2019-rules/

4 Likes

I know the 40+ division had like a 50 point difference between 1st and 2nd lol.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Huh. I didn’t know that the Women’s division and the Over 40 division were any style.

1 Like

One of China’s top 3a players got 2nd in women’s last year playing 3a

It was an incredibly strong year for x division imo

3 Likes

Fantastic comparisons, I agree 100%

Gentry isn’t the only one smart enough to craft his routine according to the scoring rules. Evan is just as smart and just as good at doing the exact same thing. I would (and have) argue that doing that is not just part of being (or becoming) a champion, but a practical necessity.

2 Likes

Just clicked top 3. I don’t trust my clicking but I got Gentry first, then Yuki, then Evan. Honestly clicking makes you see how hard the tricks really are.

4 Likes

What if…

When the overall scores for first and second are within some predetermined number, say 1.0 or 1.5, then the judges revisit those two freestyles via video and make sure they agree that first should be first and second should be second. Possibly using some other factor(s) to make their determination. Rarity, other things. Sometimes the same contestant going first may get a different score than if he/she went last. This would help those cases.

This may not be as easy at smaller contests but WYYC, US national and the like could do it I think.

7 Likes

Yo this is actually a good idea

3 Likes

Kinda like video replay in football?

I wonder how long such a thing would delay the determination and release of the final results though. It could cause a problem for events that only have the venue for a certain amount of time and then have to be out. Notice how everyone was being hurried to leave the auditorium at US Nats after the results were announced and trophies handed out.

1 Like

Just restoring the video would be fine. This is not the first time this has happened and will probably not be the last.
Polo won AP by a margin of 0.2 last year. Shion missed podium by 0.06 at worlds last year as well.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking. This just puts more controversy on the judging. Unfortunately judging has a small amount of human error and we just have to deal with it. What about baseball even? Strikes vs balls are determined by the umpire entirely. Yoyo is even more subjective. I’d keep it how it is. Any modifications to the scoring system should be specific and able to be done in real time. I wonder what current yoyo judges think?

1 Like

Video replay for subjective decisions is bad.

4 Likes

I agree that video replay isn’t the best solution, but if some other criteria was added that may be difficult to score in real time it could help as a tie breaker.

As far as subjectivity the entire scoring system is subjective, it has to be with this type of competition. I’m sure as a judge there has to be times when a click is missed because so much is going on so fast. I feel there is a way (not necessarily the way I suggested) that video replay could be utilized in breaking these “virtual ties” that happen.

2 Likes

Actually giving it some more thought I think (when the above criteria of 1.0 or 1.5 between first and second is met) simply have the judges rewatch and score the performances on video. They could do it individually and have the option to pause after a complicated sequence allowing them to digest and decide how many clicks it’s worth. This seems simple and seems it would insure the subjectivity of scoring is at least not failing due to scoring in real time.

1 Like

Ok fair enough. I feel you on the “predetermined format” part. I guess I find the format of competitive yoyoing too restrictive, as based on the outcome of high scores awarded to lots of repetitive freestyles that don’t hold my interest.

That said, where I’m coming from with the music analogy is that competition can drive creativity under the right conditions (umm…classic example… Van Gogh and Gauguin). But, as above, if the format is too limiting then creativity can be stifled.

1 Like