The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Those were really a different animal compared to the last several releases. The axle length, wood tape, and smoothness all played a huge role in response. Back then it was really important for our wooden yoyos to handle longer 1a tricks as well as newer stall tricks. That said, I still found them to respond really consistently. There’s only so many variables: string type and thickness, the axle, the gap, the response area if any, and the condition of the wood on the side wall. Hope you can get it dialed more to your liking.

3 Likes

Thanks a ton! I’m sure I’ll get it sorted soon.

2 Likes

Had to pull mine out to give it a few throws. These two are such different beasts it’s hard to imagine they’re related lol!

My 12 still plays great though.

(We had some times lol.)

13 Likes

Just love the look of that beat up 2012 eh.

8 Likes

I double wrapped the string around the axle and now it’s a lot snappier, while still sleeping well enough for my liking.

4 Likes

Here’s a couple pics of my TMBR family.
For identification purposes, here are the model names in the top picture.

1st Row: Carlson CS, This A Way/That A Way, Turner
2nd Row: Irving 2019, Morrow, Fremont 2020
3rd Row: eH 2012, eH 2014, PockeHt

13 Likes

Did you try a little bit of Chapstick on the string axle loop? I know not everybody likes to use that, and if you don’t, you could continue to not use it on the others, but I’ve found it really helps on wood Fixies that aren’t responding well. Personally, I use it on all of mine.

4 Likes

I never thought of doing that. Thanks for the tip! I’ll give that a shot.

2 Likes

Yeah, just open the loop of a new string, and rub a little bit of wax on it where it will come in contact with the axle.

2 Likes

I use either a “dead” duncan friction sticker (scrape it down to the linen) or Tom Kuhn turbo discs on my original eH’s. Still gives it a ton of spin, but enough friction to come back with a tug.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s a take-apart!

An easy but satisfying trick.

11 Likes

:star_struck:Lovely TMBRs!

2 Likes

I made this plywood throw for my wife last night. I am stoked that she has show an interest.
My daughter is already into yoyos, so this is good news😁.
As in… easier to get away with more yoyo purchases.

9 Likes

@TheThrowingGnome another reason why the Moonshine V1 is at the top of my responsive list, it also has an awesome Basecamp promo vid and take on what responsive play can be;

6 Likes

Question for all you This-A-Way That-A-Way owners…

I just got one (ordered one of the last Ash ones YYE had). I don’t know how to describe this exactly, but it loops/regens “loosely”.

As in, if I do a basic frontstyle planet hop on from outside my body looping toward my body, the yoyo wants to hit my torso. Same for trying STMs – on the regen the yoyo goes nearly horizontal behind me instead of regenning at an upward angle.

I figure this is because the That-A-Way configuration doesn’t have that high of a wall and the gap widens quickly. So, the string unwinds really quick on a throw.

Is my experience normative with this model? Is there a way to get a “tighter” feel?

1 Like

That’s a function of string length and gap width.
If a yo-yo is looping UP (or going in front of your body on shoot the moon) it means your string is too short and/or the gap is too wide - you can fix it in either of those ways.
If a yo-yo is looping down (or going behind you on shoot the moon) it means the string is too long and/or the gap is too narrow.

Not saying for sure that you can fix your issue by opening your gap and shortening string, but that’s certainly what it sounds like.

7 Likes

On your recommendation, I purchased a V1 moonshine off the BST from @aironish this morning!!!

2 Likes

This helps so much Ed. I assumed the difference in the shoot the moon I was getting on different throws was a timing and weight thing. Never occurred to me the string length was the main factor of controlling this! Thanks!

2 Likes

Sure thing. Someone really experienced with moons and hops can still make it work if it’s looping down (back) but it makes it MUCH easier if the gap and string are working together. The gap only has so much width for the string to coil which accelerates it back or lets it wind more gradually up.

3 Likes