Tech tricks inspiration and tutorials

I’ve been recently moving towards tech tricks more and more (despite being an intermediate player). I picked up some of the easy and cool ones from Rewind and try to progress one tutorial at a time, but I thought maybe I will ask for some guidance/inspiration here.

Could anyone recommend some tech tricks that will help build good foundation for progressing into a more difficult ones? Or generally some cool tech tutorials?
Tech oriented freestyles also appreciated, I love getting some new inspiration :slight_smile:

This is the level I’m currently at and the tricks I work on:

4 Likes

These are probably two of my favorites, the second one is a little bit harder, but it has some really good elements.

5 Likes

Anything by Tsukasa Namba

Lots of Justin Dauers Knots for everyone tuts are pretty techy

All the ostrich trick tuts

This person has some cool tech trick tuts like this one

Subscribe and look around those channels

6 Likes

Ooo this thread is awesome. I’m also on the hunt for some beginner tech. Maybe some beginner ways to get my toes wet in some slack elements.

1 Like

Everything linked in this thread is good. I’d just like to add that if you have a favorite player, try learning from just copying the video you see the trick done in. This is obviously a bit harder than using a tutorial, but being able to learn and imitate just from watching a clip of a trick is an immensely valuable skill.

A lot of the most interesting tech stuff won’t have tutorials made for them, so you’ll need to be able to learn from clips if you want to learn those tricks. If you have a favorite player you like, actively try to copy them and steal their style and understand how they approach making the tricks in terms of structure/transitions/general elements. This will help you in figuring out how to actually make your own fully original tricks in the style you like.

This is more advanced advice, but you can actively start doing this at any time, and pushing yourself is a good way to improve,

3 Likes

I knew that’s the right place to ask the question, thanks everyone :slight_smile:

Hopefully this thread can live and grow!

1 Like

Virtu_Yosity has a bunch of great tutorials for Takeshi tricks. They aren’t all tech and some of them are pretty hard but there are some easier/intermediate ones in there as well.

Here’s a tutorial for an extended combo from one of the OG tech masters Takahiro Iizuka as well for you. It’s a bit of a long combo but the individual elements should still be ok.

2 Likes

I feel like live speed POV vids are a good intermediary step between like a tutorial and a front view contest video or clip video or something. UNPRLD has some good POV vids on their YT channel.

Just wanna add that bc I like talking about tricks and learning them

3 Likes

I usually look for POV trick tutorials, screen record while watching, and then very slowly scrub through it step by step. Learning maybe 2 motions at a time before hunching back over my phone to rewatch.

I’ve been working on this one over the past day. Everything was pretty beginner friendly, however, I’m stuck at the last part where you release your thumb and get the tension slack to whip around back into the gap of the yoyo.