Teach Yoyo @ YMCA?

One of the administrators at the Downtown YMCA in Fort Worth asked me if I’d teach a Yoyo class. Since I only obtained a yoyo a few weeks ago I declined.

So anyone want to help out at the Y? You get to design the class, etc.

Please let me know and I’ll get the “Y” administrator to contact you.

5 Likes

Man I wish! But damn ft worth is like 4 hrs from me!

1 Like

On a separate note, how did the connection get made between yall? The reason I ask is there is a brand new Y right around the corner from my restaurant. Maybe someone might be interested it that here

1 Like

I was asked by my boss if I’d want to do a yo-yo class at our library. I suck at explaining how to do tricks though. I have an Education degree but my knowledge doesn’t really translate well to teaching physical stuff. I’ve tried giving tennis lessons before too and it’s just not for me.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for the replies.
The request came after the Y’s program coordinator saw me practicing. She told me she had always enjoyed playing with Yoyos and wanted to introduce it to other members. I told her I’d help every once in a while.
Might be a popular class, lots of folks ask me about my yoyo.

4 Likes

I did a little digging and found an old post Updt!! "DFW Thrower Club" Dallas Fort Worth Tx about a yo-yo club in your area.

Maybe some of these folks are still active and could help you out. How bout it @TurboChicken, @TTTYo, @anmo, @garydogwood, @jrodriguez you guys still throwing in the DFW?

Good Luck Tommy!

1 Like

I’ve been considering working with a life coach that helps me to start a yo class/club for some struggling kids.
But the more I think about it, the more I’m talking my way out of it haha. It seems like so much work and I really worry about some of the kids becoming frustrated and wanting to quit.

1 Like

I did a class at my library once! It was freaking amazing cause I contacted yomega (this was like 15 years ago) and asked if they had any tips for me on what to do with the class.
The lady said she’d put together a kit for me and send it my way.

Omg! >.<’
A week or so later UPS dropped off a HUGE brown box to my door.
Inside was around 30 yoyos (fireballs and raiders), strings, lube, finger wraps, yo holster, instructional books and instructional VHS tapes!
It made me cry I was so excited about it. I thought the lady was going to send me some paperwork or something with like tips and stuff on how to run the event haha.

It was really fun, and the kids loved it (it was absolutely free to them of course and it was awesome handing them free yoyos and everything else!).

It was easy though because it was just a 1 day thing…so there was no further pressure like doing a weekly class/group.

I kept the spare yos and stuff in the trunk of my car and would give them away to random kids.

4 Likes

Start a club! Share the love! It’ll be work, but it’ll be worth it I’m sure.

1 Like

Yeah :smiley: I think it could really do the kids some good to have a fun group like this to be a part of. A lot of them don’t have the best home lives and have some troubles with their anger and such. This could really be a nice release for them and a safe place for them to make friends and to be cheered on and told how great they’re doing.
And I’d be with a trained mental health professional who’s been working with some of these kids for years.

1 Like

Some of the former members must be around. Got a notice that there will be a yoyo get-to-gether in a community between Dallas and Fort Worth (Grapevine) on the 27th in the public library from 1 to 3 p.m. Looking forward to attending. Checked with the library and it is in their schedule for that day!

3 Likes

I still throw a yoyo at least once a day… haven’t been to a club meet in a while (for a looong while)

Lonestar Spinners facebook group. There is one this coming weekend.

Heck i’ll go this weekend and see the yoyo peeps. Thanks for the nudge.

https://www.facebook.com/Lonestarspinners/

Which YMCA ??? There are people in the club that like to do that thing come this weekend Grapevine library … check the FB group for more details. That’s where they update dates/times.

3 Likes

Glad you can help out @Tommy2. Thanks @TurboChicken!

1 Like

Tommy I’ll be there … I live in Hurst so I can probably work in some YMCA time… I can use the volunteer day from work to go teach a class.
But lets talk at the club meet this weekend and do it right … we have to make sure we have yoyo’s and a few other things to have a successful class.

2 Likes

We can get you some bulk YYF Spinstars for $4 a piece. Great yo-yo for teaching. Just send us an email or send me a PM if interested and we can put an order together for you. :+1:

4 Likes

Certainly a kind offer. As soon as an instructor materializes and the program director comes up with a plan for a class I’ll get back to you. I’ll see her Wednesday and will see what she envisions. Thank you, Tommy

X

1 Like

She tried to put a session together but this late in the summer she just couldn’t get a time, money, etc. Says she’ll schedule a session when the next summer’s schedule is being planned sometime after the first of the year. Stay tuned.

2 Likes