Talent Show

I have Audio(the Blue Man Group CD) and Rods & Cones is in my warm-up CD that I burned, although I’m migrating more to iTunes and my Firewire 410 interface at events for bed music.

Most songs are either going to be edited(thank you!) or we chop it at the required time.

I have found (like yoyoavenger said) that you would get 10x more cheer from boingy-boing/eli hops/boomerang (a great performance trick when mastered) than ladder escape. Also, non-throwers don’t know when you mess up, EVEN if you get a knot, just start looping or something.

Yeah now I don’t feel like the only one who wants to yoyo for the school talent show!!! Lol

Just keep in mind that “talent show yoyo” and “competition yoyo” are two related but very distant things.

For yoyo contests, they want the tech, high risk and all sorts of attention to detail are scrutinized by the eagle eyes of the judges. They are looking to knock DOWN.

At talent contests, you’re going for what will get the pops from the audience. Yes, you’re going to want to stick a few really technical tricks in there just to stall or break it up and “satisfy your own needs”. At the same time, you’ve got to cater to what will get you the gasps from the audience. Since they aren’t “on the inside”, they aren’t going to care about a lot of stuff that those on the inside are going to care about. The positive side is many “simpler” and less complicated tricks are more than sufficient to satisfy an audience.

I can validate this in my experiences in just throwing at my kid’s school. Doesn’t matter than I’m trying to get rewind or zipper or other stuff, they only care if I can walk the dog or rock the baby or throw a trapeze. However, being able to do something as flashy as eli hops or asian pops is outside what I can currently do, but are definitely audience winners.

I’m mastering Matrix and Rewind right now and can do Zipper. I’m just plodding along the YYE trick list. I think boingy-boing is my next challenge I will be starting on. theroybit showed me how to do green triangles and challenged me to do ninja vanish, which I can also do! They won’t wow audiences, but they are still cool. There’s this trapeze and bro slack trick that goes to ninja vanish, and that’s going to be what I am going to try to learn while I am nailing down boingy-boing and fine tuning matrix and rewind.

It will be a while before I am “talent show” ready. But at my age, talent shows aren’t something I’m going to participate in. Then again, I’m not into competition.