Taking the YoYo Industry to "Infinity and Beyond!"

To studio,

Reception I think is a given. No matter where we put yo-yo there are gonna be haters. I think the biggest issue, like you alluded to, is money. Until it gets bigger, no promoter/sponsor is going to want to sink money into paying pros to come do something out of their ordinary line up.

Of course with a large enough venue, I bet any of the compamies would drop the cash needed to at least transport and house players.

If you approach it with the venues that its not costing them anything and your job isn’t distracted from the main goal of the store then I doubt you’d have trouble convincing them to allow the dead space be filled with yo-yos, especially if its not costing them anything. Everybody like free stuff, right?

As for the people posting about updating the demos and doing battles, etc. Seeing as our sport is in a constant state of evolution I think exploring new ways to shoe odff is a great idea.

So now, how do we do this? Studio, you are probably bestfor starting something like this, seeing as you are already a pro in the field. I may be far away but if there’s any way I can help please let me know.

One of the strengths we have is that we’re spread out: we all live across the country from each other. At the same time, it’s a weakness, because we can just round table discuss stuff and really get our resources together. My old truck, well, the engine is great, but its not a good cruiser/long distance driver. I’m planning new seats this year, but still, a 1989 U-Haul Diesel Ford F350, well, it ain’t exactly fuel efficient either. Going show to show would be great, if it were for pay.

The first hurdle is to test market the yoyo back into mainstream. YoYo clubs are the best candidate. If they can organize little demonstrations in public places(like malls and such, which are known for hosting events), they can judge from crowd reaction how well this is received. They can get a “name sponsor” such as any local toy or hobby shop that carries yoyos. At this point, no money has changed hands unless people are out buying yoyos. Imagine a 10-15 minute demonostration once an hour, followed by 45 minutes of sales(should the sponsor run a merch table or booth) and hands on learning? 6-10 times a day. Compile data. There ya go.

Introduction in schools is good too as we can show an alternate activity. Without sales motivation, we can hand out informational sheets with “good starter models” and “places to buy” and leave it at that. However, selling them IN the schools for the purposes of an after-demo hands-on learning for first timers is OK. Also, a Bring your own yoyo and get help would also be acceptable.

Since we’re pretty much in agreement that mainstream TV is out, a YouTube channel or Vimeo channel would be the way to go. Produce a show once a month and track hits, or rather numbers. Since we’re doing this in our spare time, costs are trivial, but again, don’t forget, time=money. We can fly video all over the place as long as it gets to a centralized location for final compilation and upload. Each person edits their own content. Some weeks it might just be a “highlights reel” of a large contest. Editorials, commentary, reviews, tips and tricks… the possibilities are endless. Also, we wouldn’t have to do stuff like negotiate barter vs. buy contracts to get stuff on the air. Plus, using a soft format, we don’t have to comply with typical network guidelines. If it runs long or short, so be it.

We have to really think about the target audience. Ideally, it is existing players. If we tell existing players about it.

We also need to be a bit more vocal about who we are. Plenty of community events are put on the news. Why can’t yoyo club get it’s 5 seconds of notice on a news broadcast or a large web site? I’m not sure how yoyo clubs work, but I am assuming the are free, “all are welcome” and it’s basically one big hang-out where whatever happens in regards to yoyo happens.

I’m in Sacramento, California(well, Elk Grove, just south) and 12 miles from where the State finals for California are held. I’ve been trying since May to raise Chris Allen of YoYoSkills(who organizes this event), but he won’t reply to my email(maybe it’s being bounced) and he sure isn’t trying to call me. I don’t have a phone number for him. Sacramento is kind of strange. Here, we operate off a “if you build it, they will come, but don’t go telling people about it”. So many events have failed here because they thing advertising 24 hours before the event is all that is needed, then they turn around and complain about the poor turnout, despite having this booked for 6+ months. OR, if you do market it, then you’re “mainstream” and nobody wants to go, even if it’s not really mainstream. With States right in the backyard of 4 TV studios(2 channels share space, 6 stations total) and with at least 3 locally produced morning shows, why aren’t they promoting using this avenue? Then again, maybe they are, but I’m not a morning person. Even with Sac Horror Film Fest, we get Mr. Lobo out pimping the event.

I think we have to look to August. That gives us time to plan. My thoughts are as follows:
Take the willing Top 3 from each category and make them the following offer(can’t require it, offer it):
Trips to the appropriate studios for morning shows the next day. I know you can hit Today and Good Morning America. Are there others? Anyhow, hit those since they are in New York. Now, I’m not sure the schedules for taping of Letterman and Fallon, but hit one one night and the other show the next night. Then fly them out to California and hit Leno and Conan. Heck, go nuts, throw a Walt Disney World Parade in their honor Monday after finals, THEN off to the talk-show circuit in New York, then flop them over the California, do those shows, another Disney parade in their honor(trust me, news loves those parades), then maybe a few days at Universal Studios because of the “celebrity trash rag” shows and get them 15 minutes of fame. This would be at little to no cost to them as the shows would cover the tab. This could all be done within a week and then they can go home. This is, of course, provided the winners are able to participate.

But, I’m just an engineer. I make shows happen through my technical skills. I leave the rest to someone else as my strengths are in production, although I’m good at coming up with concepts.

Well not that meny people at my school are doing it anymore but still at least 10 people are still doing though.

And that is one of the major flaws in yo-yoing, IMHO.  Yeah, I know that the yo-yo is considered a kid’s toy, and that the majority of the members in our community are minors.  But there are still plenty of adult players in our sub-culture too.  I feel that catering almost exclusively to the youngest members in the community is a slap in the face to all of the 18+ players.

Now I’m not saying everything should be more adult-oriented here, so please don’t take it as such.  I just think there needs to be more of a balance.  If there was stuff geared towards the kids, but other things geared towards adults, I think it would only improve the yo-yo community as a whole.

[quote]I think we need to give yoyoing a cooler image like skateboarding or something. The only problem with this is that it can attract the wrong kind of people.
[/quote]
Define the “wrong kind of people”, please.

I completely agree.  Battle format should be the standard in competitive yo-yoing, IMO.  Running contests as single elimination tourneys would be the most entertaining format for the non-players in the audience.  The crowd will thrive on the tension and rivalry, which is something that is missing at contests run under the standard format.

[quote]I only say that because at normal contest, watching freestyle after freestyle after freestyle even gets boring for me, there is to much structure and not enough input for or from the crowd
[/quote]
Audience participation would be a good way of keeping the crowd captivated.  Say if the crowd response accounted for 5% of the overall score, it would make the audience feel like they are playing a role in the outcome.

[quote]All styles battles is going to be the best way for us to grow as a community
[/quote]
All styles?  You mean all of them in one division?  If so, I don’t really agree with that idea.

In order for a battle format to work, there can only be one style of play per bracket.  Lumping them all together would only give an unfair advantage to 2A players.  We already saw what happened with the Triple Crown, when they combined 2A-5A.  The results would most likely be the exact same if divisions were combined at a battle.

There will ALWAYS be room for improvement in yo-yoing.  Our sub-culture isn’t static.  It is in a constant state of evolution.  If the sport cannot evolve along with it, it will only become stagnant.  I feel that is what we are experiencing with the sport right now, to be honest.  We are reaching the limits of the sport’s potential, and unless changes are made to how contests are run, I don’t see it becoming much more popular than it is at this point in time.  Mainstream popularity for competitive yo-yoing IS possible.  But in order for that to happen, contest organizers need to completely overhaul the way yo-yo competitions are structured.

As for how to make the sport more exciting, and improve yo-yo contests overall, I have a lot of ideas.  Here’s a few of them:

• BATTLE FORMAT - This needs to become the STANDARD contest format.  I know that some judges aren’t too keen on this idea, since it will mean more time on clicker duty.  But for the sake of making the sport more entertaining for non-players, and eventually bringing in big name sponsors, we really need to switch things up.  The sooner we start seeing a lot more contest support from companies from outside of the yo-yo industry, the sooner judging will cease to be a volunteer job.

I also realize that some players aren’t too fond of this format, which is completely understandable.  By forcing competitors to be on fire all day/weekend in order to win, this type of contest will be much more challenging.  But I am fairly confident that the same players who do well at contests now will be able to adapt to this new format rather quickly.

• IMPROVED PLAYER STATS - This is one of the major reasons why I believe that battle format should be the standard.  It would create so many possibilities for player statistics, such as win/loss records, pos/neg click averages, and help to establish a legitimate ranking system for competitors.  Not being able to do that is something that separates yo-yoing from more credible sports.  I don’t really think any of this will be possible with the current standard format either.

• JUDGE TRANSPARENCY - In order for our sport to become more legit, I feel that transparency in judging will be necessary.  The judges’ individual scores should be public knowledge, even if it will inevitably create some tension between certain players and judges. That is a definite drawback.  However, it will also expose any biased judging that is taking place, which will eventually lead to our sport being more credible in the eyes of the general public.  The pros outweigh the cons, IMO.

I have plenty more ideas where those came from too.  I’ll try to post more of them later. ;D

Notes (not answers to the end all be all):

Studio42 - Have not received an email from you. Try Hit me up on Facebook to ensure I get it. I will pass you my phone number and we can talk.

Battle Format - There is a purposal on my plate to bring a battle format yoyo contest here to the states.

Contests on TV - We need to prove this first before someone at a network will risk money on it. This year, Cal States will have three HD cameras from multiple angles and a video board, commentators, and commercials on the live stream over the web. This is a start, and as far as I know, has never been down before. I hired a professional studio to produce this and it will then be edited into a 1-2 hour package for download (commercials included).

I agree with the battle format. Its just easier to get into the competition of it. Its not the best example, but if the winner of a football game was determined by the team with the best exhibition of their skills and didn’t involve them battling each other, it wouldn’t be nearly as successful as it is.

Battling does make for some issues, but I think when people see it, they see 2 people and may notice that more than 1 person actually yoyos…which may be surprising to them. The fact that they only see people yoyoing by themselevs makes us easy targets. People usually skate in groups because it started out more centralized than yoyoing which may have lead to its growth. The people who weren’t skating were the outsiders and it made them want to be skaters. When anyone sees a yoyo video they usually see 1 person doing tricks, even if its in front of a crowd of people.

I’ve begun working on a type of exhibition battle format for Worlds. I can tell you right now that at least for 2012 at worlds it will be the tried and true contest format. I’m looking at this to be more of an exhibition after the main contest. Now if it goes over awesome, then it could be looked at differently for the future. I’m going to be doing a bunch of things from a production stand point and adding a few things to this year’s worlds that will hopefully bring the “WOW” factor.

I’m also looking into throwing a party Saturday night after the crowning of the new worlds champion. Like an all out celebration with lights, sound, music, confetti, music videos, and more. Just trying to really step things up. Hopefully we can get the same thing to happen for worlds with the HD filming. When is Cal State? Maybe we can see how that goes and how we can up the ante for worlds and keep pushing this forward to be something amazing.

Also, Here is another thought. I know a lot of friends and family associate yoyo as a goofy kids toy. It is also hard to sound “Cool” saying YoYo. However, from brand recognition everyone understands and knows what a yoyo is. I believe CLYW is calling them “Return Tops?” I don’t remember if that is what it is or not. But it seems like possibly trying to get away from the term yoyo. I think that is going to be a tough debate to decide if a name change is going to be needed to push the kids negative stereo type away into something really cool. Hard to say.

I was standing around the other day at a store waiting and I had my cafe racer in my pocket and I wanted to just start throwing it but I felt really insecure. Because of people’s perception. I’m a 31 year old throwing a yoyo in a store, people are going to think if I’m mentally all there. It is going to take me getting over that and other people changing their opinion of it to make it something that is cool and accepted.

-JuanHubaro

Trolls, spammers, etc. Go on YouTube to see for yourself. I definitely don’t wan’t “Try this cause it really works” threads.

I’m not on facebook. I might have to resolve that. The @yoyoskills.com account under “contact” on the CalStates site ain’t working?

We’ll be in touch. I’ll PM you here too.

Oh, and it sounds like we’ll want my big console for this. All I will say is “thank you!! I love working my big console!!” No, seriously, I do. I’m MUCH happier behind that desk. It’s nice and clean and so many routing options!. I can do the live feed audio to you right off the console and we can mix in ambient mics if we want to as well for crowd. I can run so many mixes off that thing that TMCertified is gonna want me to drive my truck to Florida for Worlds so I can do it “up right”!(although he’s already thinking right, I just prefer 4-way systems over 3-ways)

Well , practicaly anything looks cool if you edit it really well and put cool music in it.
like this ,

Hey man, I am 30 and I throw EVERYWHERE. in line at the deli, picking my kids up at school, in line at the super market… and most of the time people just stop and watch. Cause they haven’t seen anything like it. There is an audience out there to tap into. Just don’t ever be embarrassed to throw!

As for return-tops, in Canada one particular company trademarked the name yo-yo like Duncan tried to do here so long ago. Return-top is a term coined back when Duncan was holding the same patent.g

In Canada it’s the return top nationals.

You have nothing to be insecure about, dude. Seriously. I’m 31, I yo-yo everywhere I go, and I even have a yo tattooed on the side of my neck. Embrace your inner nerd, stop putting so much value in how complete strangers see you, and start throwing more in public. In the big scheme of things, does it really matter if some random person cracks a joke about your yo-yoing? No, it doesn’t. Yo-yo for your own amusement, and if anyone hates on it, laugh it off. They’re probably just bitter they could never figure out how to operate one anyways.

Trolls exist in every sub-culture though. Spammers too.

Ya if they say something bad then they are just jealous they have nothing cool for their lives and are probably a loser.

What I mean though is that I don’t wan’t yye to have a bunch of threads saying yoyoing sucks, don’t try this, etc. I used youtube as an example, because that is pretty much what the comment section looks like.

I had a situation recently that pertains to this. I was DJ’ing a club at Disney and there was this guy there and he is there probably a couple of times a week. He doesn’t care who is there who is watching, this guy just breaks it down the entire night. He is always dripping in sweat and he goes all out, I mean hands, arms, feet jumping spinning twirling. Just his own choreography. Everyone always laughs at him and makes fun of him. And I understand because he is the only one and just loses himself in the music and everything. I never made fun of him but just kinda shook my head and I won’t lie, in my head was just like, this guy is certainly missing a couple of screws.

Then last week while I was Dj’ing the lighting tech made a comment about the person and I stopped for a second and for the first time realized that me and him are the same person. He has just gotten over what I haven’t yet. He loves to dance and goes all out. I love to yoyo but I have not let loose yet to care less about what others think. I know people will look at me as someone who just wants attention (which isn’t the case I get plenty of attention if I want it from family and friends) or someone who is a show off (no because in my line of work I can do a lot more showing off than with a YoYo) but people don’t understand that I do it because it is fun and I just love it.

Which I will tie back into this discussion with another thing I heard just today. My kids were watching the Disney movie Oliver & Company a cartoon about dogs and one of the dogs called the others a bunch of yoyos. My wife looked at me at just laughed. But it instantly made me think. That is really a big problem that we have with our hobby/industry. One, the majority look at this as a kids toy, and secondly, when they don’t look at it as a kids toy they look at it negatively. I can’t tell you how many times, while my wife and relatives tolerate it, look at it as why on earth am I a grown man with a family throwing a yoyo. They just can’t understand it and why I have spent hundreds of dollars on it. While my wife is tolerates it and sometimes even into it, there are other times when she thinks this is the stupidest thing I have ever done. I’ve done the whole look I could be out drinking or go out hanging with the boys at the clubs and so forth, but I don’t do that. That argument doesn’t work because she looks at it as beneath me. That someone of my “stature” shouldn’t be doing something like this.

Now after a lengthy post haha, bringing it back to the taking the yoyo industry to new heights. From what I see and experienced and what so many others have said, I’m not alone here. Many people look at this negatively, teens at school, adults out and about, and so forth. Sure the more people do it the more people will see it and get involved and sales will continue to go up and we will slowly see a change. I’m down with that, but I also think if there might be a way to speed up the process, I would be all for it. That is why when I heard of the whole “return top” it made me think hey, when someone asks you can say no it is not really a yoyo it is a return top, yoyos are those toys from the old school this is a tricked out piece of metal or plastic that is designed to do cool tricks like if I was raving with glow sticks or things like that. Finding a way to move beyond yoyos to me would be easier than trying to change 50 plus years of what people already have in their head about what it means to throw a yoyo.

So in my opinion you have two schools of thought. You either continue to slowly and hopefully surely change what it means to yoyo in the “modern” day or you say, this is a losing battle it is going to take forever to change peoples outlook and general thoughts on yoyo’ing let’s try a fresh new approach. So, that is just a few thoughts that I had thinking about it tonight.