Switching gears with spin top regens

Recently I have acquired a virtual b grade bonanza of different size and shape tops I never had before. Even though I am still just beginning the battle with regens, the different styles help a bunch.
Most of the new tops have the diabolo shape tip and that makes them way slower on the string. The narrow Spintastics hp hornet is very unique feeling and it is great for keeping a stable horizontal attitude. The quicksilver hybrid is a nice weight and size for horizontal or vertical tricks.
I got a b grade sweetle that plays great, the new design is very similar to the first run, but it feels slightly more responsive and is great for wire walking tricks. The bright colors make it easier to track for regen stuff.
So anyways it was surprising to me that the tips would make such a big difference with regens but they are easier to keep on the string and the rate of spin slows down just like changing the gearing on a bicycle. If you are struggling with regens and don’t have a spintastics top with the diabolo tip, for sure try one and see if it helps. Also a larger top like the sweetle may help.
Collect them all, impress your friends and neighbors.

3 Likes

So far the Quicksilver is the easiest for me to use for regens. I am starting to get the hang of drum beat, and finally making a little bit of progress with sewing machine and roller coaster.
So I decided today that people shouldn’t say you should just practice more until you get regens (or other tricks). You can’t practice what you don’t know how to do. Learning spin tops for me is a lot like learning juggling, it just takes a lot of trying and failing before you can analyze what you are doing or not doing, then you can watch videos over and make corrections.
Hang in there if you are trying to advance with tops, it just takes a bunch of patience.

1 Like

Just an update on this amazingly popular thread. As I learn more about regens, I am discovering the string makes a huge difference. This is some string I got years ago for a Strummol8, it is too long for the hornet, but tying it off about 6 inches, it works great with this top and I got my best run yet of rollercoasters, which is still only 9… but I am starting to get the feel. 25 drumbeats.

3 Likes