Sunday morning strings

Welcome to the Guild brother!

2 Likes

Upside down! Pfffff.

Looks like it’s stuck to the ceiling to me😉

2 Likes

So what thread do you guys make your strings out of? Polyester? Cotton? Any others? What’s the best combination?

2 Likes

How many threads do I you use? We used ten times around and it was way too thick.

2 Likes

I typically use poly and do 6-7 passes depending on the brand.
Cotton seems to need a little more depending on the throw it’s made for.

1 Like

If you mean 10 times there and back, that results in 40 ply in the final string. Each there and back is two threads per strand, and when you fold over you have two strands that make the string.

I like 24 ply for thick strings (3 spools, there and back twice) and 20 ply for thin strings (5 spools, there and back once).

2 Likes

So each time you go around it adds to threads to each strand? Do you count each thread as two because it has two strands? How does ten rotations equal 40 ply? Sorry for all the questions!:speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

If you take a single thread and go from your starting hook, around the other hook, and back, you have two threads in the strand. This gets twisted up, then you fold it in half and untwist to make the string. Now, the string has two strands of two threads each, or four threads.

The number of threads in a string will always be even, and the number of threads will be a multiple of 4 unless you have a “half loop” where you tie off one of the threads on the end hook instead of the starting hook.

2 Likes

After a couple tries this morning I finally got a good string!!

4 Likes

Wow that looks really thick! Have you tried it out on a yoyo yet?

2 Likes

Yep! It’s 6 times around. 5 was too thin. Works great!

3 Likes

So I like my string more tightly wound (like the yellow kitty string) but when I make string it seems to be looser(like the home made white string). Is there a way to make it tighter?image

3 Likes

Just spin it more time till you find what you want

3 Likes

2nd that.
Experiment at each of the two twist steps to dial it in how you want. I had the opposite issue and was over reducing my strings.

2 Likes

1 Like

1/3 cotton 2/3 poly

5 Likes

@SirDarverok and @Mystik are right, just reduce the string more before folding it over. The catch is that the more you reduce it the more the string will want to knot up until it’s had the second twisting (untwisting?). Make sure to keep tension on it while folding to prevent that.

2 Likes

Getting back at it this weekend😎

3 Likes

same I have not made anything for a while now

2 Likes

thanks for the help @Mystik first fade :+1: :sunglasses:

4 Likes