Summit vs. 7Summit vs. Free Solo

I’ve been seeing lots of summit love lately, so I wanted a refresher on peoples opinions of the family (comparisons, thoughts, favorite qualities, etc). this thread has great information, but I thought adding to it with a new one instead of resurrecting it with a comment ab new comparisons would do it more justice. thanks for reading!

I have no concrete reason why, but the OG Summit is my favorite of the 3.

2 Likes

I play my Summit a lot. Feels very midschool in certain aspects, the high midwall and really tight gap stands out a lot to me if you’re doing more modern/difficult tricks on it.

It feels really good to play, despite being a bit difficult to play compared to a lot of more modern stuff. Note that it’s not hard per se, just that you will notice a lot of extra tilt if your control isn’t clean from the midwall, and if you’re sloppy or slamming too many layers into the gap you’re gonna snag/kill it fast.

It’s capable though, it’s just kind of one of those yoyos for when you don’t want to play something that’s too good/easy to play, but also don’t want something that’s gonna be a challenge/frustration to play.

I haven’t played a Free Solo but I’d imagine it’s just easier to play all around (and easier on your wallet.)

Summit is definitely gonna be a love or hate yoyo, the midwall, just okay spin time, and really tight gap are gonna be the deciding factors for if you love it or hate it. Free Solo I think is going to be more palatable to players who aren’t nostalgic for the Summit or aren’t looking to pay a premium for a yoyo that makes yoyo harder.

Also just to compare it to the Avalanche and Cascade, despite both of those yoyos feeling relatively round and comfy in the hand, Summit feels hella boxy. It’s definitely its own yoyo more than it is a something really close to either the Cascade or Avalanche.

2 Likes

First off, reviving the original thread would have been more than appropriate.

Second off, Free Solo is an incredible yoyo

3 Likes

i’m starting to agree w that first point, but what’s done is done

1 Like

We’re already here, and discussing amazing yoyos so its probably just useless for me to have said that lol

1 Like

For some reason I think the rev2 should belong in that summit / free solo family. Feels similar