Stuck 4A Bearing

Need some help.

My 4A bearing seemed originally to be loose, ala it would fall off anytime I unscrewed the throw.

For some reason now, the bearing is stuck. When I screw the throw together the gap is too small for the string to fit in the gap… But if I leave the gap wide enough, the throw is loose as it’s not screwed together.

It seems the bearing has been pushed in, and my usual bearing remover tool is too big for the bearing gap. I’ve tried gripping with pliers, but there isn’t enough of the bearing showing to grip properly.

Any help to fix?

1 Like

1 Like

Update, so I’ve got the bearing out. But when I put it back in, it seems too narrow and when I close the throw the gap is too small. I’m not sure what has happened, as this wasn’t happening before

It looks like you lost the spacer on that side without realizing it, then reassembled. I had this happen once and had to destructively remove the bearing.

Is that a supercell? it uses a D bearing, hence the removal tool not fitting. You will need to find a replacement spacer for that side.

2 Likes

I guessed that might be the case. No doubt somewhere on my floor. Thanks for flagging.

Yes it’s a Supercell.

1 Like

Update. Found the spacer, but think I’ve really damaged the bearing getting it out with water pump pliers.

Need to find somewhere in the UK to buy replacements.

1 Like

@chaosgow is based in the UK, he might have some thoughts on getting a new D bearing.

2 Likes

I’ve no idea where to find D, what have you heard??!

2 Likes

Nothing… Why?

1 Like

It was a D joke, lol.

I’ve no idea where to get D bearings in the UK, sorry.

2 Likes

Dense question, I bought a new D bearing from Amazon, but not from a yoyo distributor. Should the bearing free spin when I put it into the throw… At the moment I can’t spin it? I know 1A throws you can still spin the bearing when taken apart.

Can’t work out if it’s maybe over lubed, or just these types of bearings don’t work properly.

If I just hold the centre of the bearing, the outside bit doesn’t spin like other bearings I have.

Normally they come heavily lubed just clean them with e.g. lighter fluid or acetone. And yes it should freely spin.

1 Like

Would white spirit work?

IMO not strong enough of a solvent. But it can not hurt to try. My fav is lighter fluid. Normally the bearings come with machine grease which is tough to solve.

1 Like

I’m trying some white spirit now. Sadly these bearings don’t seem to be able to be de shielded.

For my 3D print prototypes I do not remove the shields. Just keep it in lighter fluid for 10min, then dry and a second round and done.