Stripped YYF shutter

So I am going to buy a heilcoil for my shutter and i need to know what size does anyone know

Thanks, Jayden

1 Like

Maybe we can hook you up with a new throw? Unless you are dead bent on fixing it.

1 Like

If you’re planning to use the existing axle, find out the thread size of the axle and buy the helicoil that fits. Then you will need a drill bit of the proper size for the tapped hole to insert the helicoil in and a tap of the proper size as well as a tap handle unless you already have one. At this point you are well on your way to having invested a sizeable percentage of the cost of a new shutter - approx $35. You will also need a drill press to accurately drill the hole for the helicoil. Drilling freehand will invariably result in a crooked hole and a wobbly yoyo. You’re further ahead to buy a new one or pay someone to retap it for a slightly larger axle.

2 Likes

According to this page, the threads should be 4mm x.7mm. Common Yoyo Axle Sizes

I agree with @jhb8426 though, the tap and heli-coil will probably cost over the price of a replacement yoyo, not to mention the fact that there’s a pretty good chance of screwing up the job without the right equipment and care.

With that said, if you do happen to decide to toss your Shutter and replace it I’d be happy to take it off your hands for the price of shipping if you’re in the U.S.! :smiley:
I don’t own the tap yet and am not particularly skilled at machining but I’ve been wanting to try and heli-coil a yoyo for science.

If you decide to go for it, let us know how it turns out!

Ivan

I have a coil kit that’s Duncan sized. Never been used I think. If it’ll fit I’ll send it to you. What’s your address?

I’ll give you a Horizon, unless if this is some “project “ your doin and you have other yo-yos lol

but IF ou NEED a yoyo I can send you a yotricks edition Horizon, it has 1 ding but plays as smooth as the day I got it :grin:
Just DM me your adress and if shipping isn’t Absurd I can get it shipped on Friday :grin:

1 Like

I screwed up one side of a non-side effect throw since I’ve been so used to extreme tightening, if one side is still intact I recommend going for loctice red threadlocker. Left it for a day and let it cure and now it works just pretty good for such a cheap fix, smooth even. You could try that instead of going for the helicoil route

1 Like

We could do that but i am only 13 and i dont really thi nk my parents want me giving out my address to people idk lol

3 Likes

Maybe one of us could talk to them.

3 Likes

Ok , ask your parents and if they wanted to coordinate with their personal email/ address we could do that also :grin: they can look me up on FB by name Jaden Peltier , and could reach out and “feel out” the process, and if they’re still not comfortable with giving out their adress, you could maybe look up the adress for you local post Office and I can maybe send it there :man_shrugging:t5:

3 Likes

I’m going to send you the post office in 1-2 weeks I’m not going to me be home in those times since I’m on vacation I’ll reach out to you when I am back with the address

1 Like