Stringmaking & yoyos: A deep well of a hobby

I was inspired by @Nicksaboo to make some thick strings that would make normal fat strings seem quite slim by comparison.

The thread counts are, from outside in:
(triple fat) n.72, n.64, n.48, n.24 (fat)

I attempt to play with the 72 count string.

9 Likes

Would love to try out those n.64s and n.48s!

1 Like

If you haven’t tried it yet, C&C Dual Duty XP is a nice thread. All or the majority of strands with it gives you a string with a ‘soap’ feel. Mixing it otherwise works fine too.

https://www.joann.com/coats-andamp-clark-dual-duty-xp-general-purpose-thread-250yds/xprd840925.html

1 Like

Still haven’t tried an N64? Dude it’s been like 20 years

Getchu some super smash Bros my guy

7 Likes

Lmao ew :joy:
I’ve been a PlayStation cat my whole life

5 Likes

1st string i have made: Thickest (outside)- unplayable but fun
2nd string i have made: 2nd - playable but too snaggy
3rd string i have made: 3rd - Really good and thick string. Not snaggy. ( i love this string)
Kitty String XL: 4th (inside)- put here for comparison

8 Likes

I really like the orange color you have in that small-big string!

3 Likes

Lefty twist string i made yesterday: i forgot to check if the drill is spinning in the right direction.
Really good, other than being a lefty twist.

i feel like i NEED more threads

3 Likes

Made some more strings today. I will be giving some to my friends and i will be keeping some. ( i will let my friends try the strings that i will keep though).
Really loving this so far. Looking forward to my friends feedback

5 Likes

I call it the sanderson sisters

5 Likes

Can’t wait for my garage to not be 150 degrees anymore.

1 Like

looks great!

1 Like

So thanks to advice found around the forum, I was able to make a playable string. This is actually my second string, my first was way too loose and I too thick to be much fun to play on. I used 6 strands of some Gutermann Tera 40 that I had around the house from a sewing project. It’s not a cool pattern or anything, but I’m sorta proud of it.

7 Likes

um…

bumpity bump bump?

I’m new to the yoyo thing and my wife is big into the sewing thing. i’d like to thank you guys for finding the bridge! lol!

let me run a couple questions by y’all.

1. correct me if i’m wrong, but if i want a 4 ft. string, i need to twist 8 ft of thread. PLUS 10(ish) percent for reduction. so 8 ft is 96 in. and 10% would be 9.6 in. Let’s just call that 10 in. that’s 106 total inches. I’m not 11 ft tall, so i’m just sorta making up numbers, but the math is there, right?

2. that’s just a hanging scale for tension, right? that seems MUCH more precise. for a couple bucks, a sure investment.

i might just give the old drill a workout! nothing to lose, and strings are kinda needed.

2 Likes

Do it bro! Show us the results! If the wife is a sewer she likely has a bunch of polyester around, but make sure it’s not embroidery polyester. That makes a stiff shiny string, which is playable, but SUPER weird for tension. All-purpose polyester (which is 99% of what my wife has in her sewing chest) is fairly soft, and exactly what you’re looking for.

Yes, but it was a real pain to use and not very quick or accurate so I shelved it. I mostly just go by feel now for the string reduction.

2 Likes

well, i made a string.

1 Like

I tried twice. I can’t seem to get the axle loop tight.

Any tips for that? I really enjoy the polyester and making them is every bit as fun as I thought it would be!

1 Like

They look really nice. I’d love to try making strings.

Super easy. Super cheap. Super fun. I’m hooked. I spent 4 bucks and got 2000 yards of thread. About 20 yards per string. That’s 100 strings for $4. That’s .04¢ per string. In glorious non neon colors!