Stringmaking & yoyos: A deep well of a hobby

IMG_20180328_135331

IMG_20180328_135409

This is an example staged with one wrap.

After you lay out all the threads you drop them off the center hook and spin them all together as usual.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought thank you much!!

2 Likes

Post pics when you’re done!

2 Likes

Will do ima do a purple and white

2 Likes

Probably a wooly/tri blend

1 Like

Strings are just as important as the yoyo. Im glad others make them and share and explore the journey of twisting threads. <3

5 Likes

IMG_20181231_163439

Recent strings. This is still so much fun.

IMG_20190110_150625

6 Likes

The orange and green remind me of the ninja turtles. I dig it.

2 Likes

IMG_20190111_095004

Bundling them up is a lot of fun.

10 Likes

Thanks MarkD; it finally clicked when you showed the above, after pondering how to do a real twist (not checkered by just twisting two colors and folding them over as usual)…
Whee! :bangbang: …looks like maybe you guys counter-clockwise twist a bit more than I did…? Or maybe both directions more? I did 12% initial reduction and after fold and reverse I stopped when it quit elongating and seemed to “begin to tug” or reduce again…
yoyoString1a

6 Likes

Looks great! You can always play around with the reduction amount to see how that affects the string. You can only reduce it so far though, or else the string will fight you and try to twist up into knots during the fold-over.

4 Likes

Got some wild new blends from @tossinpfeffer in the mail:

Thanks for the string trade!

5 Likes

Very cool! What is shurelock and “coats”?

These look like the cool candy cane style that are harder to make, too!

2 Likes

I love making my own string. It’s fun and satisfying. If I can do it myself I will. String is no exception. Only thing I hate is I’m always super critical. I’ll play with my string, feel like its too corse, but I’ll go to my other strings I felt were super soft and I can’t tell much of a difference. It blurs my perception. Still, it’s a great feeling to know you can just whip up a batch of strings for personal use. My One Drop and DV888 are both sporting my strings.

3 Likes

Coats and Clarke is a brand of thread, sure lock is a specific type of polyester manufactured by coats

2 Likes

Wow cool I thought it was some kind of spray treatment given 3 coats of spray!

2 Likes

The coolest string in this batch is the Glow in the Dark, it’s rare indeed!

3 Likes

IMG_20190305_154909
Recent strings.

IMG_20190305_160337
Me and my threads.

8 Likes

A real tough guy with his threads :sunglasses: :wink:

5 Likes

I love the stretch nylon / poly blend I got from MarkD, thanks for the trade. I’m going to make some myself before I run out of the ones I got. It makes me want to invent a trick called the Bungee Jump! I went to 50/50 poly cotton “slick” Zeekio (from, like, YYE “Tournament String” poly") to try to get a little bounce versus the standard <thok!> but Mark’s has it way beat (not to a weird degree though) and has a cool response feel as well. The ones I sent him were very experimental, like 100% silk if for no other reason than to discover “why don’t we use this?” … expensive kinda but when you’re playing a $120+ yoyo and something lasts, not really. Probably just too lightweight to try to maneuver properly, but I’m just not getting to the point of confidently landing on the string 99% of the time and such and doing a few unresponsive tricks, binding, & stopping with a big grin like “tadaaa!” so I’m not qualified to know what would be good for someone doing advanced play. I can loop like 3 times and start getting sideways (what’s the DEAL, I’ve plateaued)… I guess it’s progress.
Picture of MarkD looks like he got some fan mail!
Hee hee, I have a box of junior give-away yoyos. Figures the one time I bring them to the oncology hospital the kids were all gone. For better or for worse I’ll be back (Mom’s a survivor twice+… thank God for all our bonus years still in effect). I got a box of light-up ones that actually play really well for the price (sleep, respond, loop, flash) and I wanted to give them to the kids with the hats and wigs and such… Moffit seems to be pretty relaxed in what they let them do or have and there’s a ton of space, the place is always huge and expansive enough that everyone in the place could be doing 2A and not get anywhere near each other…

3 Likes