Stringmaking & yoyos: A deep well of a hobby

Might need to just reduce the string more so it has more twisty-ness to it. Or try a different brand of thread.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. I’ll try again. The thread i bought is SUPER cheap, so that figures into the equation. I’m definitely going to keep it up. I’m reviewing your rig design notes. Hard to get a feel for it without a baseline to judge. Thanks for all the advice.

Anyone got a fixie string recipe? Trying to get as close to Type-10 as possible.

I use Aurifil A1050-2024 Mako Cotton Thread Solid 50WT 1422Yds White that I buy on Amazon. 8, 10, or 12 full loops, reduced 10-12%. The string is way softer than Type 10, and lasts forever. My only issue is I haven’t figured out the best way to get the tension “locked” other than a few minutes of playing to break it in.

4 Likes

I find the same to be true. Not necessarily with a particular string, but if I dont give the thing a few tosses it isn’t as taut as I’d like. Of course, I assume that to be true of ALL strings.

Made some slim (20thread) and fat (24thread) poly/nylon blends. Trying to thread the needle between the various qualities of this nylon (soft, bouncy, fast, durable) and the poly I’m using (controllable, rough-ish, brightly colored, frays).

5 Likes

Hey Mark, I have a question regarding this neat looking thing:

Do you hold it in your hand and travel back and forth between your end anchors, or is it in a stationary position that you pull from from one end of the rig?

Bonus question:

Do you still use this? Have you made any alterations to the design since these photos were taken?

2 Likes

Recent updates above. I hold it and walk from end to end, using my free hand to guide the string onto the hooks.

The updates were a fifth post and three new things to hold/guide string without snags.

5 Likes

Did you make those curly-q hooks yourself? :sweat_smile:

And do those cones just sit loose on the posts, or are they held on by a nut/ washer from the top?

Also, do you ever have a problem with the thread getting wrapped underneath the base of the cones?

2 Likes

yeah i made them myself - very carefully not to scratch the hooks, because thread can snag on it. the cones aren’t secured, and the threads used to get stuck under the cones all the time until I added the two additional thread guides.

4 Likes

where can i learn to build my own rig?

1 Like

Do you know any basic woodworking? you really just need to cut a 2x4 to size then place hooks at various places for your workflow.

3 Likes

i know nothing about woodworking lol

2 Likes

great time to learn! for this project you need a tape measure, a pencil, a wood saw, a drill to make pilot holes, and an assortment of metal hooks and eyelets to screw into your board. Maybe a sawhorse too.

3 Likes

ok cool!! i do want to learn a bit of woodworking but not a crazy ton of it

2 Likes

Woah, is that a color blend on the far right? Or did you find a thread that was that color?

2 Likes

Nice, I love the ingenuity!

Edit:

Oh yeah, hey @MarkD what is that fancy digital instrument? Is it a pull force gage? And what unit does it measure in?

2 Likes

it’s a luggage scale. wasn’t very useful for strings.

3 Likes

are these things playable?

2 Likes

yeah, they’re really weird to use though

2 Likes