String reviews

NOTICE: i made this on the 1d forum, and since it’s a lower traffic site, i thought i’d repost it here. captain gnar, and bryand7 are both people on the 1d forums. FYI

SO… lately my yoyo case has been littered with yoyo string. i got a ton for Christmas from my cousin, (it was SSE2, and also a tester pack) i bought myself some onedrop basics, and also some white onedrop basics, plus a fresh order of hamstring, and some more random string from this local shop, and finally some string that BryAnd7 custom made for me today. (Which matches my 54) so i’ll be going over my reviews for all of them. (excluding the G-string tester pack, that would add like 6 more strings to the list)

So i’ll be rating string in 4 different categories.

1. Playability
  2. How long it lasts
  3. Feel
  4. Price

FIRST UP! 1D BASICS!
http://s1.postimage.org/4dd33qf8/String_1.jpg

1. Onedrop Basics (colored)
    So, the amazing string that almost nobody hates is up on the chopping block. next up will also be the white string, because there is a difference.

2. Playability 6/10
    On the throw, these strings are amazing. responsive, (as in it follows your hand movements well) thick, but not overly thick, and look amazing.they seem to work well with every gap width (tested on 54, campfire, gnarhwal, and MN) and kicks ass at holding loops open for suicides and whips. they seem to break in the minute you put it on your throw. which is awesome for me because i hate long break in periods. my only complaint with the colored is that it feels rougher then the white, and i have actually gotten multiple string burns. this has made me almost reject wanting to use the string. even after play for about a day (which for me is about 4 hours of yoyoing) it never lost that roughness.

3. How long it lasts 7/10
    This string lasts a decent amount of time. for me, i will replace it after about 3 days of play (12 hours). which is perfect for me considering how many you get in one pack. this string is definitely up there with long lasting string.

4. Feel 5/10
    I already went over this in the first category, but i’ll say it again. this string is rough on the hands. i have gotten multiple string burns on my index finger from them. throw AND non-throw hand. it’s crazy! i’d like to love it, considering i bought a 100 pack of them, but i just can’t stand the feel.

5. Price 10/10
    this is THE best priced string i can find (besides the YYN stuff) for a 100 pack to be only 13 bucks, what more can you ask for?!

Bottom line: 7/10
i would rate this much higher if not for the roughness. sorry 1D it hurts like hell

SECOND! STAND STRAIGHT! BASICS PART 2!
http://s2.postimage.org/1klxg6y04/string_5.jpg
2. Onedrop basics (white)

1. Playability 8/10
    On the throw, these strings are amazing. responsive, (as in it follows your hand movements well) thick, but not overly thick, and look amazing.they seem to work well with every gap width (tested on 54, campfire, gnarhwal, and MN) and kicks ass at holding loops open for suicides and whips. they seem to break in the minute you put it on your throw. which is awesome for me because i hate long break in periods. This string is the best string money can buy (on a budget) it plays smooth, looks great, and won’t burn as much as the colored string. it’s my goto string for my non-main throws.

2. How long it lasts 6/10
    This string lasts a decent amount of time. though not as long as the colored string. mostly because the white gets dirty looking, so i think i need to change it. for me, i will replace it after about 2 days of play (8 hours). which is perfect for me considering how many you get in one pack. this string is definitely up there with long lasting string.

3. Feel 8/10
    This string is SMOOOTH it is perfect for whips and suicides, holds tension very well, and i can get rid of tension my favorite way on it, (unlike colored) i take the string off, and whip it like i’m Indiana Jones. i recommend this string for any throw!

4. Price 10/10
    this is THE best priced string i can find (besides the YYN stuff) for a 100 pack to be only 13 bucks, what more can you ask for?!

Bottom Line: 8/10
This string is amazing. it’s what onedrop sends stock on every throw! what other reason would you need to buy it?

STRIIIIKE THREE! HAM STRING YOU’RE UP!
http://s2.postimage.org/1km2eszhg/string_4.jpg
3. Hamstring (i got gween)

1. Playability 8/10
    This stuff is nice. my only complaint right off the bat is that they come really long. i normally just tie a loop and throw the stock size, but this required some changes. anyways this stuff is awesome. it handles slack really well, and even played well in the wind. my g-string seemed to not get past a breeze, when the Hamstring was able to cut through air like butter. another awesome fact about this string is, it holds tension AMAZINGLY well! even when the string is coiling because of tension, i was still about to pull off 2 GT suicides! it was really cool!

2. How long it lasts ?/10
    I haven’t played this string long enough for a good judgement off this category. but as soon as i’ve gone through a couple strings, i’ll edit this

3. Feel 8/10
    This string is nice and soft to the touch. it is slick, yet gives a firm grip on your fingers. it makes this perfect for fast moving tricks. not much more to say.

4. Price 7/10
    compared to G-string, this is about the same price for string. though for how quickly i go through string, it’s not a good price. though since it’s homemade, i understand the price (i think it is. maybe not… MORE RESEARCH NEEDED)

5. Bottom line 7.66/10
    this is some great string. recommended by me for anyone who likes pigs, the colors offered, and nice smooth string with great tension

FORTH MAN COME TO THE FRONT! G-STRING SSE2 REPORTING FOR DUTY!
http://s2.postimage.org/1km42cbz8/string_3.jpg
1.Playability 8.5/10
Compared to the rest of the G-string i have, this is THE BEST (BNC came in close second). it is soft, and takes a short amount of time to break in. once it’s broken in, it lasts for a LONG time. it holds tension pretty well, though not as well as i would’ve hoped. the 1D basics do a better job, but the whips are better. it’s about even, though i use more whips and get rid of tension frequently, so it’s not that big of a problem.

1. How long it lasts 9/10
    this string last FOREVER. i still haven’t needed to change out my string on my BvsM, and don’t plan on it for a while. not much more to say besides it looks kinda gross after about a week of play.

2. Feel 8/10
    love the feel. it’s still as smooth as a cotton shirt, without the horrid burning of cotton string. i have found no problem with the feel after a week of play, and doubt anything will unless i spill something on it!

3. Price 7/10
    same as Hamstring. reasonably priced considering it’s homemade, and i don’t think any changes need to be made.

Bottom line 8.1/10
This guy makes some awesome string. i hope he never stops! great job, and he’s Canadian! +5 to the points! yay canada!

LAST BUT SURELY NOT LEAST, BA STRING!
http://s1.postimage.org/4djp94ec/string_2.jpg
this is the string bryand7 made for me. which i titled “Lenin loves Denim”
(in case you couldn’t guess, there is denim in it, and i like communism. Yay Lenin.)

1. Playability 9.5/10
    just so you know, this is custom string for my play. it was specially made thin, since i LOVE multiple wraps. i was able to pull off 9 or so on my dingo earlier. which is pretty cool. normally my max is about 6 on my dingo. anyways this string plays soo well. it is a little tough at first, but breaks out of that almost instantly. it then stays slick and has this almost, “sticky” feel to it. though it leaves no residue on the fingers. this makes for snappy binds and great control. A+ bryand7!

2. How long it lasts 10/10
    so i just got the string today, and am in love. though Jordan (captain gnar) has been using his string too. from what i hear from him, and bryand7, it lasts a long time. i can tell by the feel it will, though i’m not gonna count this in the rating since it’s still in the testing

EDIT:
so i have been playing it for a while now, and this string has NOT even gotten close to wearing out. it feels as amazing as when i first broke it in. i love this string because it has lasted so long, and doubt i will have to change it for at least a week. GOOD JOB!

1. Feel 7/10
    the string starts out feeling really crappy, truth be told. but after you get about 3 minutes in, it starts loosening up. and makes for an awesome sticky smooth feel that just runs past your fingers. note that this is his DENIM string. which normally gives that effect when you first start.

2. Price 9/10
    i just talked to him, and he says when he sells it, it will be 5 for 13 strings. which is cheaper then G-string and Hamstring. not to mention it lasts for a long time too. (or so i’ve heard) so we’ll see how it fares after a week.

Bottom line 8.5/10
this may be because it was custom made, but i think this is my favorite string now. it plays great, looks amazing (matches my black/blue 54) and is just awesome. when this string is released, i order you to all buy some of his stuff! you won’t regret it!