String Review: GR3AT WHITES and Others

Hey everyone!  ;D  I’m going to go over some Toxic Strings for you today.  The strings in question will be Toxic String, Dragon, and (mainly) Gr3at Whites.  If you’re only interested in the Gr3at Whites, it is the last review.  I’ll throw in a short summary on YYE Poly Strings as well just so you know my tastes.  Besides these strings, I have tried:

• Toxic String Sampler (So all of them now!)
  • YYSL Type X
  • G-String Intentus and Glow in the Dark
  • Basic Bulk Slick 6 and Cotton Strings

And now for the reviews!  :slight_smile:

YYE Polyester String

This string is decent.  Overall it plays pretty much in the middle for me.  Whips are okay and the loops stay kind of open.  My main issue is it is extremely thin and loosely wound.  The new string feel stays around for about 1-2 hours and then plateaus.  I’d advise changing this string after 4-6 hours of play as it continues to fray and may effect your quality of play.

Toxic Yo-Yo String

So far one of my staple strings.  Whips are fast yet controllable, and the loops stay pretty well open.  This string is more rigid, tightly wound, and may be a little coarse on the hands to some.  My main issue is it is just a tiny tiny bit thick for my preferences.  The new string feel and plateau for this string are extremely similar, perhaps unidentifiable to some.  The string maintains tension very well, but has little to no bounce.  Binds are good and tight, very little energy spent coming up.  I’ve been running one of these strings now for 10+ hours and there is very little fraying.  I actually prefer this string once it has been used as it becomes less coarse over time. 8/10

MarkMont Dragon String

My other staple string!  Whips are very fast, perhaps uncontrollable to some, and the loops stay open.  Once again a tighter wound string, and may be a little coarse on the hands to some.  The thread used for it is much more slick than the Toxic String and allows for a faster style of play with quick whips.  The string maintains tension very well, but has little to no bounce.  Binds are good and tight, and the yoyo loses a bit more speed coming up than Toxic String because Dragon is a tad thinner.  My main issue is it is a little too thin.  Similar to Toxic String, there is very little break in time and it lasts forever. 8/10

Mack Finley Gr3at Whites  (<- Not sure if it is supposed to be all caps or not)

I just got this in the mail today!  Upon inspection, this string seemed way out of my preferences.  Thicker than Toxic String, and extremely soft (which is, based on my reviews above, not something I like much).  I stuck it on my throw, and holy cow, does this stuff play great!  It appears to be made of Dragon mixed with a super soft sort of thread.  The whips are medium-slow which allows for a middle paced flowy style to it.

Binds are perfect (Yes, underlined, italicized, and bolded) with this string.  With the new standard YYF Response Pads this string had a nice soft snap and very seldom came up with a sloppy bind.  In fact, only twice while I was testing it out, which is probably only a third of what I would have dealt with with either Dragon or Toxic String.  I had expected the binds to be more quick and instant with the thickness, but I think the softness balanced it out perfectly.

The string came kind of frilly to start with.  Just taking a shot in the dark, I am going to guess this string will last a max of 5 hours.  If it is a 50/50 with Dragon/soft stuff, I suspect the one half will get fuzzy, but be maintained by the Dragon half of it.  I’ll probably update this thread if I wear it out enough and keep good track of it.  So far, 7/10

In Conclusion:

My main strings are Dragon and Toxic String, Toxic for wider gap throws and Dragon for thinner.  However, I do believe Gr3at Whites have potential to be another favorite not only for myself, but for the community.  It seems to combine many of the qualities people look for and yet they only had to sacrifice string life to give it all of the qualities.  Very impressed!

If you guys have any tips for reviewing, please, lay them out there for me.  :slight_smile: