String Makers Discussion

Did you get Spro swivels? Hands down the best, for fishing and string making.

The whole discussion on hooks was preety in -depth, tought to follow for an average maker or beginner. Basically, we are conversing on the safest and best way to do it. If you have ever made strings with a dremel, you see how fast it can go, and things can get out of control pretty quickly.

Also, a dremel has a non-adjustable chuck (where the bit goes into), so you need something that can fit on the end of a Dremel bit. That’s where the whole “JB weld a hook into copper pipe and cold weld that to the bit” thing came from. That would essentially make it an extension of the bit, which would make it smoother and safer than taping on a nail (like I did).

Paul, are you trying to tell us that you take some of the G-strings and do the second twist by hand? Could you ellaborate on this? I am failing to see how this is possible to do in a timely manner.

I don’t mean to be rude at all, and sorry if I am coming off rude, but chaining dremels together has to be the WORST idea I have ever heard. Can you imagine the danger factor (well, I mean I live in redneck Wisconsin, so I could care less), but also, I just cant iomagine that working very well. What you need is a power strip (NOT a multi-outlet strip, there is a huge difference), and some small to medium small sized DC motors. Run the motor leads to the power strip, and get yourself a DC power supply from a place like MSC Industrial (google it). This would be a very safe, and efficient way to make multiple strings. Install a switch to turn the power on and off and you’ve got a solid-gold rig.

I really like your idea of the enclosed case/ protector shield thingy, as it seems very safe and well thought out. You could just have the motor shaft and hook protruding from the shield/case/box, and then you could still use the rig easily and efficiently

It’s really weird to have already written the original that did NOT recommend chaining Dremels together, and then clarify once, “No, you would not chain Dremels together” and then come back to this thread to see ANOTHER PERSON saying “Chaining Dremels together is a bad idea.”

Learn to read.

That is all.

Lol, I understand where you are coming from, but sometimes if you hear it from more than one person, you know, it makes it more like “Oh, I definitely shouldn’t do that”. If that made any sense

Could you please explain or elaborate on “the forms of tension control” and the how you would “do the kink by hand” ? Thanks

By “forms of tension control” I mean what method you are using to apply your initial tension; drill, dremel, Ooompa Loompas, etc.

To KINK by hand means exactly that.

You remove the string from the center hook after the fold. Grasp it around 5 inches from the loop end while also keeping it pulled taut from what will eventually be the knot end. The 5 inches kinks up, then you slowly move down the string, in 4-5 sections total, and kink up each section in turn.

End result: By hand kinking -section by section- the tension is applied differently to your materials and the end result is NOT THE SAME as using a swivel or reverse motor method. I, and my 7+ years of happy customers, find it far superior.

Have I explained that clearly enough now? :wink:

/paul
/yoyoGstring
/GrandfatherofString

2 Likes

Yes, crystal clear. Thanks

Brilliant.

1 Like

I should also state that I neither use a swivel method NOR kink by hand anymore. A few years ago I developed a semi-automatic process that produces an end result IDENTICAL to the hand kink but in 1/10th the time…with no wear and tear on my hands and finger joints.

It was one of my prouder R&D moments.

/paul
/gsimian
/yoyoGstring.com
/oldguywhoknowsathingortwoaboutstring

Thanks for clarifying Paul!

just started making my own string with the classic drill board nail with hook configuration. it is good string that holds tension well, so I have that going for me.

finished my rig, still have to twist each one individually but it is a big improvement I will post pics after I eat

Also I will start using the modify post button but it won’t let me delete my post,
Sorry :-[

Please, use the modify button. It means that you don’t have to post four times in a row.

3 Likes

What if you city the strings at the end with a very hot tool, like a hot wire cutters? Then in theory you wouldn’t need to tie a knot, or use a scissors

Sent from Ice Cream Sandwich Eatin’ Optimus V

When poly gets hot enough to melt, it shrinks back as it melts. There is a tendency for the two main stand groups of the string to seperate and not weld to each other.

Oh. It seemed like a good idea on paper lol

Sent from Ice Cream Sandwich Eatin’ Optimus V

The trick is to apply the heat across a larger angled plane vs a thin single point of contact. Also to have the string held tight and close to the point of heat contact so it doesn’t “spring” away.

/paul
/yoyoGstring.com
/grandfatherofhandmadeyoyostring

1 Like

Good idea!

Wanted to show off some of my new string, will be sending some to n00beginer for a review.

Lookin’ nice (and consistent)!

Nice job with the strings, they look good!