String length DOES matter

I like my string slightly longer than it really SHOULD be.(Just at the Belly Button) I find that it gives the perfect blend of speed and large slack ease. Slacks look nicer with long string, so if that’s your style, go with long string. If you prefer tech, short is good for you.

Personally I have grown to HATE short string. Just me. No hate to people who use short string.

I just use YYE string at stock length, I’m about 5’4. But I recently started using kitty string at the longest length I could tie it and it makes learning tricks so much easier! I had a really hard time learning Grandma Kimmitt Sandwich but after switching to longer string, it was much easier.

Man, you guys are tall ::).
Well I usually find it easier to bind with longer string and I can do my tricks more flowingly and not miss or hit my fingers. The only problem I have with long string is that I might ding the yoyo or ding someone.

1 Like

About 5’11 here, and I always prefer a longer string to a shorter one, although I pretty much just use YYE poly string straight out of the package. But any time a new throw comes with shorter string, I throw it down once and I can tell immediately. It feels constricting to me. I can definitely tell it’s faster but it just doesn’t feel “right”.

1 Like

^True Dat Brotha’

I’ve been trying to get my son interested in yoyoing since I got started, 3 months ago. He started with responsive throws, but wasn’t that into it. Until I got him his own Northstar. He still wasn’t that crazy about it, but when I insisted we trim the string to his height, he found it MUCH easier to play with. He’s been playing with it a lot more since.

Asia Pacific 2012 prelim winner got a really long string, yeah he won the prelim and got 4th place in finals