String for slack tricks

Ok, I’ve started learning slack tricks and I had trouble with basics. Then I got my cheat code and discovered that A. The yo-yo being lighter made a lot of difference, and B. The string that came with it is way better for slack tricks than the kitty fat I have, as well as the yellow strings I got with my yoyofriends yoyos. That string is now dead.

I want to try a new string. I was thinking about slackies, cuz, you know, it’s in the name. But have heard good things about project 44, alpha line, and other brands too. So I wanted to know what you guys thought would be best for slack tricks. I know I want a thinner string, but I just learned ninja vanish, and can’t get Yuuki slack down, so any help or advice besides get gud (I’m practicing, insert hornet from hollow knight gif here) would be appreciated as well. TIA!

2 Likes

The thicker the string the better imo, but any of those companies you mentioned will be just fine. The kitty fat should be fine to learn slack tricks with too though. Are you adjusting your tension often? Letting it break in? A string losing its bounce or getting a little frayed doesn’t mean the string is dead, it’s just breaking in. I mostly use kitty fat first class and it’s been more than good enough for me learning slacks and whips

Unless you’re trying to hit a 6.0 hook you really don’t need any kind of special string.

Thicker strings will generally have slacks that keep their shape better, I personally use XL string for this reason. And the extra weight makes them easier to control during whips. But technique matters a lot more than string itself.

The cheapest normal thickness string is all more than capable of doing very complex slacks and whips.

5 Likes

I like C3’s Pro String for those, since its a little on the thicker side and the nylon seems to have a nice weight to it. It also feels like it picks up string tension a little slower, which is nice for if you’re learning the trick and fumbling it

1 Like

Pre-stretching the strings by holding both ends and pulling tight for like 15-20 seconds can help whatever string hold tension better and you will have to adjust less also

2 Likes

Free samples always available just DM :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Xyloyoyo If you want to try some high end string @IMArocketman string would be a good choice.
For bulk string I like using alphaline.

1 Like

I use bulk strings: Zipline Alphaline, Monkeyfinger Vines and Aceyo all on the “phat” side.
I would say that to start learn you do not need anything special, just a normal string and the rest is about to practice, I learnt all my first slacks with a Velocity from YYF and it’s original string that was absolutely dead lol while is true that some strings helps I do not think you need something in particular when you start.
Just practice a lot Morgan and have fun!

1 Like

Replacing the string too soon might be my problem. I replace my strings relatively soon cuz I like my yo-yos and don’t want to ding them.

2 Likes

Like you are worried the strings will break?

I get that! I love fresh string as well. But the reality is is that string actually lasts a long time, and the odds of any modern string snapping and sending the yoyo flying because it’s a little frayed or dirty are slim to none. I know a few people on here that change their string like once a month on a throw. I personally can’t go longer than a week lol, but even then I’m giving the string plenty of time to break in. I think you’ll notice a difference in tension with your slacks and what not too, newer fresher string tends to still wanna wrap up even with neutral tension.

1 Like

I’ve never had a string fully break and I throw really hard usually and use my strings for a long time. I have popped threads with bulk string before but you can hear it and then see it and then you know, time to change for safety.

Edit: I did have a yoyo that I dinged up and sliced some threads also but even that one I saw like oooo there are cuts all over my string and I should figure this out.

1 Like