Stop-Motion Videos?

ok hivemind, I was struck by inspiration and now am looking for help lol does anybody know if there has been a stop-motion yoyo video made at any point? Or has anyone even attempted to make one before?

I have! But just for fun testing out the high frame rate if my camera. (DSLR) i never actually saved it into a video mainly because the photo files are so massive. My camera does 11FPS so it looked proper stop motion. Looked cool, but ultimately i thought it wasn’t worth the effort to save them. Lol very useful for actual trick photography and having lots to choose from.

1 Like

A simple way to get a stop motion look without shooting actual stop motion would be to film regular video at 24 fps and then use a “posterize time” effect to play it back at 6, 8, or 12 fps. You’d want to shoot with a higher shutter speed than you typically would for video to get less motion blur and sell the photo effect. I’d also add a very subtle exposure shift between frames to give it a tiny bit of flicker.

1 Like

You don’t happen to remember/have the settings you used? I have plenty of space/time to save and work on all the individual photos lol

I might have to try that out! That being said, I’m in it for the real deal if I can figure out how to make it work

My camera setting wont mean anything to you unless you have an actual camera. But in case you do, i remember we shot them in my friends kitchen which had good light, and we were using my fish eye so it had to be close to something like 1/500th shutter speed, f4 at ISO 800. You really only care about the shutter speed as mentioned above. At least 1/250th or faster shutter and then set your aperture and ISO to what whatever suits the light conditions.

If you just have a phone, there should be a manual mode, or shutter priority on the camera app where you can adjust all this stuff. Most phones these days blast off so many photos, also like stades above, to get a real stop motion effect, you want to shoot in a low FPS. Like 6-10.

1 Like

Are you wanting it to look like stop motion photography? I guess I’m either not sure what you are after or maybe stop motion is not what you’re after. I don’t mean to imply anything negative here but stop motion photography is NOT filming things that are in motion. Stop motion is taking successive shots of still objects, moving them slightly between shots so that when the shots are strung together they give the “illusion” of actually being in motion. If you wanted to give the appearance of stop motion to a regular video, then removing maybe (just spitballing here) 2 out of ever 5 frames and this could create the choppy sort of look that stop motion is known for. Hope this helps.

I’ve got my DSLR so I’ll have to give that a try and play around with those settings, much appreciated my dude!! :pray::pray:

1 Like

My idea was to do “rapid fire photography” for lack of a better term (it’s been a hot minute since I was in photography classes)- super quick shutter speeds to get crisp photos so that I have still photos, rather than just clipping out frames of a video recording. I’ve done very limited photography during sporting events and I’ve really enjoyed the challenge of getting action shots in series, and I figured it might be cool to do the same with yo-yoing. Let me know if that doesn’t make sense, I can search for and break out the old photography stuff to find the exact name of it lol

1 Like

Nope. Not necessary. I understand you now. :grin: So are you using film or digital? I know there are some on here who are very much into photography and would likely be thrilled to help. I used to love photography when I was young. I still have my old 35mm Canon. I never took classes or learned enough to be of any real help to anyone though. Anyways. Hope to see you posting awesome pics soon!

1 Like

I was planning on using digital so I can just throw them on my computer and put everything together there. But now that you mention doing it on film…. :thinking::thinking: might have to use digital as a proof of concept first so I don’t use all my film lol but photography is just such a fun way to be creative. I was never really into it until I took a few classes as “gen ed” credits and now I love it

1 Like

All true. If you have an imaginative eye, there are amazing photographs everywhere. I think the term for what you’re looking to do is High Speed Photography. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong. So if you look up info on that you should be rewarded with too much info for 100 people to sift through. One bit of advice that I can offer is this. Light!! Lots of light! For high speed, light is imperative. Making sure you have light sources that are very high on the Color Rendering Index is also helpful to keep the colors popping and natural looking and not washed out. And digital certainly makes sharing much easier. Hope that helps :grin::+1:

1 Like

There are more than a few…

1 Like

Those are some good videos for sure. But what I’m looking to do is make something stop-motion- esque, or think of it like a flip book but in video form. My goal is to essentially take still photos throughout a trick and then put that series of photos together to make video where it feels like a digital flip book (like the kinds you made as a kid of a ball bouncing or a stick person running)

1 Like