Stickers with my yoyo orders

I am curious how sending sticker with a yoyo order got started. Stickers seem to be another part of the yoyo culture. Its a fun addition to every order. Whats its origins?

Or

Am i romanticizing it too much and its just an advertising thing.

10 Likes

I have no idea of the modern origins of boutique companies giving out stickers.

However, my hyper-yo case from the 90’s is littered in yoyo stickers. YYJ had the “Yo for it” guy. THP and the other brands all had stickers too, they gave them away at contests, events, or stores had them.

10 Likes

I have cases with some stickers on them but I just leave stickers on a table and when I get enough of them I dig out the tackle box I use for yoyo accessories and put them in a ziplock bag. The bag is pretty packed. It’s cool to recieve and collect yoyo stickers!

6 Likes

I’d say that it’s an easy, low cost way to advertise the product. Throw in some cool stickers, they get put someplace that others will see them, raises the visibility of the product, more potential sales.

kgb

1 Like

going to bet a lot of money its a marketing thing

1 Like

Back in the day all the cool kids used to sticker bomb their homemade cases with yoyonation and TheYo stickers, or at least my friends did. It was an easy way to personalize, and also to make a Big-5 sporting goods airsoft pistol case look not so much like a airsoft pistol case. Maybe that was just me :thinking:

I look back on those stickers, stuck on or still brand new, and the memories come right back. Sure maybe its rooted in advertising, but i’ll choose to believe its really for us, the players, for the memories.

4 Likes

I still havent found a good reason or thing, to put stickers on something

1 Like

I feel the same way man. Wish I had a bunch more YoYoNation stickers… those are actually probably worth actual money now lmao

3 Likes

Not sure about the origins but One Drop used to provide a random sticker with each yoyo. Not sure why that stopped but they have been nice enough to let me go to town on the sticker table while visiting. Heres a (not up to date) photo of the collection to which, thankfully, they are still adding to.

14 Likes

Put em on your Trapper Keeper!

4 Likes

My daughter saw the stickers and asked if she could stick them on something. So, i gave her this ceramic tile. She stuck a few on and we thought it looked cool. So, i added more as i got them and use this as a photo platform when I’m taking shots of throws. I keep it on the bar and use it as a coaster of sorts and a conversation piece.

Also, i had to show off the YYN Pyro (#43) since i saw the mentions of the nation and its stickers. :grin:

Enjoy the throw my friends
kgb

8 Likes

I put mine on the back of my clipboard

9 Likes

Slightly related, but I wish more companies would do pins. I’ve never been big on stickers (because I never want to commit to putting them on something). The enamel pins that have been coming with CLYWs for the past few years are fantastic.

3 Likes

I wish they still did this. This is rad

3 Likes

When will Yoyo Expert be coming out with new sticker designs?

That’s what they’re supposed to. But let’s be honest: most stickers are on cases which barely leave the house or even in a drawer, where only the owner can see them.
I’ve only seen 3 yo-yo related stickers ever in public, where a lot of people could see them. It was in a street next to a yo-yo store or near a venue where a yo-yo event took place.
I guess most people keep them for themselves, because they’re kind of precious.

3 Likes

I put most of them on my case, but I also have a few randomly placed stickers on my truck. I’m hoping someday to meet a thrower in wild. How cool would it be for someone to spot a One Drop sticker on your car and start talking yo-yos? I also almost always wear a yo-yo shirt for the same reason. But no one has approached me yet. Someday…

4 Likes

I appreciate all the stickers. I sticker all my work laptops, and my current one is not yet fully sticker bombed but on its way.

2 Likes