Stand Giveaway

I’ve been enjoying laser cutting wooden stands, and would like to give some away. I’ve been really impressed with the generosity of this community, particularly @bobafret & @codinghorror, and am trying to give back in a small way.

These are yo-yo specific, and fit really nice. They’re simple and a little rustic looking, but I like them. The few people I’ve sent them either like them too, or are polite enough to say they do. I have working designs for a few models, and am interested in doing more.
Currently I have designs for

• One Drop Deep State
  • Rain City Gamer (same design as Deep State, coincidentally)
  • YYF GenXS
  • YYF Confusion GT
  • YYF Wedge
  • YYF Ko’olau Edge
  • MYY Purple Line
  • Mk1 Diffraction
  • iYOYO Iceberg
  • ART Juke
  • UPRLD Recognition
  • UPRLD Flash
  • Top-yo Mojo
  • Thesis Serenade
  • d***runner
  • Smashing Spectacle
  • Unspoken Artemis
  • YYF CP Pivot
  • SF Cadence ES
  • Qilin
  • Muse

If anyone is interested, let me know. There is also a possibility for some customization. A few words fit well along the outside. The only thing I would ask in return would be some honest feedback, particularly on the fit for yo-yos I don’t have.

Also, several people have asked about paying for these, so I am going to move to a pay-what-you-want (absolutely including zero) model. I am completely fine with giving these away, and don’t want anyone not to request one because they don’t want to be pay. I just also want to give some people the option of defraying my costs (which are not large).

Modifying these for other yo-yos is pretty simple, working from a photo and dimensions. If there is a yo-yo several people are interested in a stand for, I can make new designs. I get these right the first time more often than not, but would like to have someone test them before I make multiple copies. Actually making more copies of an existing design (in small numbers) is pretty easy, as I can partially make use of some otherwise idle student labor.

Also, if anyone has a stand of mine, and find it fits another model of yo-yo please let me know.

Thanks for a great community!

(I didn’t know if this should go in BST, but I’m not actually B, S or Ting anything. Also, I reserve the right to get in over my head and not be able to deliver on these as well as I would like.)

19 Likes

ooo ooo oo! Having been graced with some of these, I have some suggestions! :raised_hand:

• I actually liked getting these as a flat pack “kit” that I could assemble. It was pretty easy, and it gives me choices, see next point

• With the “kit” aspect you can mix and match the differently sized middle and outer pieces to get juuust the right fit for your yo-yos. And you the creator are absolved of the responsibility of getting the sizing exactly right for each yo-yo!

• You can also build more than one stand this way with the “leftover parts” which is cool too.

• It feels good to build things, the Ikea factor, you’re more invested in things you built even if trivially so.

• If you ship them in a kit and flat packed it is cheaper and faster to do so … but make sure these won’t go through a USPS machine that assumes it is dealing with flat paper because that will chew them up! I think a bubble mailer would be best.

I also feel you should at minumum charge for postage otherwise you’re gonna get a bunch of folks who aren’t really interested but will take stuff gleefully if it is 100% free. Not saying there’s a ton of people like that here, necessarily… but if someone is not interested enough to cover postage then I can assure you they’re not really interested.

These stands are awesome!

8 Likes

I’d love to have a stand for my Diffraction. What specs do you need? It’s C bearing, 46mm width and 56mm diameter.

I’ll pay for postage + extra to make it worth your time.

4 Likes

Yes, to be clear, I’m sending these out as flat five or six piece kits. They just push together and hold without glue.
(And thanks for the tip about the padded envelopes. I’ve been saving a pile.)

5 Likes

These stands are amazing! Gregory sent me 3 for my Deep States and they fit perfectly and look fantastic!
The pieces slot into each other very tightly and securely making these very sturdy. No glue needed!

I’m so grateful that he sent me these. I absolutely love them!

8 Likes

I’ve been selling trading cards online for years…if you go to the post office you can ask them to mark it as non-machinable. Shipping costs a bit more, but they stamp the envelope/package so that it will not be sorted by machine, but rather by person.

5 Likes

I need diameter, width, and a good photo from the end, which I see online. I’ll probably wait a day or two and see if there are any designs I have multiple requests for, but this is one I’d like to do.

4 Likes

#tivayderhype

Thank you for the stands! This is such a cool idea.

14 Likes

Thanks to testing by @MarkD, I can add these to the list of tested yo-yos with various stands:

Mk1 Diffraction
iYOYO Iceberg
ART Juke
UPRLD Recognition
UPRLD Flash
Top-yo Mojo
Thesis Serenade
d***runner
Smashing Spectacle
Unspoken Artemis
YYF CP Pivot

Coming soon:
I’m also hoping to get responses on fits for the Dire Wolf, Cadence ES, K’Edge, and TiVayder (try two).
I’m also looking to make stands with clear or colored acrylic.

10 Likes

Love that idea, I’d like to buy some from you! I have a deepstate and two gamers.

3 Likes

Cadence ES is now tested and good to go. Thanks @Theyoyoer27 ! Acrylic is close to ready to go to. I think a deep red acrylic might look great with theose TiVayders.

Also, several people have asked about paying for these, so I am going to move to a pay-what-you-want (absolutely including zero) model. I am completely fine with giving these away, and don’t want anyone not to request one because they don’t want to be pay. I just also want to give some people the option of defraying my costs, which are not large.

Thanks to everyone who is testing these.

6 Likes

I’m interested in getting one of these made for a Retic Boa. Just PM me and let me know what you need

4 Likes

It isn’t often that I see something new presented and think “now that’s a really good idea”. This is definitely one of those times. The stands are pleasant looking, the custom fit idea is great and the fact that they can ship flat to be assembled is fantastic.

Well done.

7 Likes

Yasss. I need one for a Mega Crash and a Vosun V8. They don’t fit in my regular storage thingy.

2 Likes

The ones I got fit my Deep State really nice. The kEDGE version also fits my Muse and Qilin, so it’s cool to see that they also work with yoyos of a “similar” size and shape.

profile comparison for context

kEDGE

Qilin

Muse

8 Likes

Thank you so much! It works great!

7 Likes

Wow :+1:
Those look fantastic. simple yet very stylish, i’m always amazed by peoples innovation. Big pat on the back to you.
Would you be offended if i had a go at making one myself ? I’ve got a bit of Italian Olive in my shed at the moment. Don’t think it’d be as professional as yours but i love a project.

There was another guy on the threads who did a holder that clipped to your belt made out of leather. That also was very inspired.

4 Likes

Not at all! I’d love to see what you or anyone else comes up with. I can make the files I use available, if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Hmm that photo doesn’t look right? The feet should be flush with the base parts, is it pressed all the way in?

4 Likes

Yeah, if you press this further in it will be lower and more solid, but as long at the slots bite a little it should hold.

3 Likes