SPYYxCLYW Galactic Goose Review

Canada; the place where wild animals walk the streets, Rush music plays music 24/7 over loud speakers, and yo-yos are their most popular export…well not really. However 2 of the highest quality yo-yo companies reside in Edmonton and Calgary Canada. Saturn Precision yo-yos (better known as SPYY) and Caribou Lodge Yo-yo Works (aka CLYW) team up to present a masterpiece known as “ THE GALACTIC GOOSE!!!” (or GG as I call it)

SPYY is a company known for their incredible high standard smooth yoyos, with signature matador spikes and a classy look.

CLYW is celebrated for their fancy anodization (from splash to acid wash) and there awesome yoyos.

Mix these two companies together, throw in some Canadian pride, and anything can happen!

Looks:
As I open the box the first thing I see:

(I bought the brownish gold one)

This yoyo really shines in looks. Its matte finish gives it a nice color. Not too “shiny cheap looking” but more classy, almost like some obscure antique.
It also sports some really cool artwork of a constellation of a maple leaf done by none other then the amazing Sid!

Tech:

Specs:
Shape Butterfly / Wing
Weight (g) 64.50
Width (mm) 39.61
Diameter (mm) 53.00
Gap Width (mm) 4.07
Bearing Size (Inside x Outside x Width) .250 in x .500 in x .187 in
Gap Type Fixed
Stock Response System Flowable Silicone
(Note: specs are taken from yoyonation.com)

The GG’s size is in the middle. Not quite a full sized throw, but not undersized. For me, its just right. Its not too bulky to carry around, but after it leaves your pocket it plays full sized. But more on play later. The GG uses normal CLYW guts (large bearing, flowable silicon) and a SPYY axle. The Galactic Goose has SPYY’s signature spikes, found on many of their yoyos. It also has a very unique profile. It is a little slimmer, similar to the BvsM, however as you get close to the rims there is a ridge, where the string can occasionally land in. After the dip the rims flare out a little. The Galactic Goose does not have an IRG, which for me is no big deal.

Play:
The shape of the GG takes a little while to get used to, but once you get used to it, it Is pretty comfortable. The Galactic Goose can play, and it plays smooth. It feels heaver than it is on the string. Its not too heavy, but if you were expecting the floaty-ness of the Peak or Pure, the GG might not be for you. It really reminds me a lot of the BvM while on the string. Although it feels heavy, you can move it around, just not as fast as you would expect for 64.5grams. It can still manuver in and out of the string easily. It can grind really nicely, even with out an IRG thumb grinds are possible. They are obviously not as easy as they would be if it had an IRG, but I am not complaining. The spikes are a cool feature, with only a little practice matador is a cinch. As I said earlier, the ridge can get the string caught in it. This is a rare occurrence (usually when you have a trick similar to triple or nothing, or a trick with many segments), but it sometimes can result with a cool flop with the yoyo. I am sure for very serious players this could be annoying, but I always think its cool when it happens. This sometimes can result in slanting the yo-yo of the balance. It plays smooth. This yo-yo is stable, but can sometimes fall off axis. As said by other players (mordel I believe), this is a FUN yo-yo. The Galactic Goose is not a yo-yo for everyone, but it is a really fun yoyo to have.

FHZ, GG, BvsM

Peak, GG

Final verdict:
If you have the money, and many high quality yo-yos I would get one. It seems like they are all sold out for now, but is you stumble upon one in the BST, I would take a chance with one. SPYY x CLYW made a great yo-yo that has already brought me many hours of fun within the first week or so owning it. After all, isn’t it all about having a good time? This is a fun yoyo. It may not be as floaty as your peak, or as fast as your spyder, but it sure brings a hell of a good time. Its by no means the “perfect yoyo” and its probably not the “best playing” yoyo out there right now. But its all I have been playing the last week and a half, and it was a great week and a half of yo-ying.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this review!

-Jeremy Gelman

1 Like

great review and great yoyo! its awesome! ;D

thanks.

great review, I personally liked the other color more but we all have a preference.