SPYY PRO REVIEW UPDATED

UPDATE in RED at the Bottom.

Hello again yoyo lovers,
I am happy to be able to share my experience with this phenomenal yoyo.
Recently I saw someone playing this V shaped throw, I said, WOW, that’s exactly what I’m looking for, I mean I just knew it. I found out that it was the SPYY Supra. Wow I said wow, what a cool looking throw. AND it’s undersized and at 67.5 grams I thought hey, this is awesome! I also learned that SPYY put out the PRO, which is the larger version but still at 67.5 grams however I was dead set on the supra, like I had tunnel vision for this thing. So the following week I got to try it out.
I liked it, but the shape was too pointy for me at the undersize SIZE. It bothered my palm, it just did not nestle right, like say the ST QUARK does. So I thought what a bummer.

AND THEN A RAY OF LIGHT COMETH FROM ABOVE AND A VOICE SAID UNTO ME, “TRY THE PRO…”
And so, like a wild mule in the desert, go I forth to do my work and I tried the PRO and as soon as I put in on, it was like SOOOTHING. OOOOOOOHHH and then AAAAAAAAHHHHHH and then ooooh again. As if skilled language instantly became rudimentary sounds.

The interesting thing about this form at this Size, is that it feels comfortable You’d think a hard aggressive V would cut into your hand but no. For you see, you must UNLEARN what you have Learned. hehe. I use Men’s large gloves, so the wedge of this throw nestles my palm between my index and ring finger and feels just smooth. SMOOTH. As if SPYY Said hey Chris, give us your palm for a sec, and then the PRO was made. After the crushing disappointment with the Supra, this was the same form and yet a totally different throw. What a difference a few millimeters can make!

Well after I got over the smoothness of it, I looked at the finish and it’s truly awesome. The pics just don’t do it justice. Mine is a red and yellow, but looks. reddish copper with yellow blurs that look orange and copper basically during spin. Under tungsten light, it just has this soft glowy sheen. I love it. In the sun it’s even more striking.
Here are the specs-

• profile at 44mm
  • ultra low-walled 4.5mm gap
  • 54mm diameter
  • 67.5g weight
  • massive rim weight percentage
  • no spike!
  • recessed pads – accepts silicone
  • dry large C bearing
    Don’t be spooked by the width by the way, it feels great.

On a throw this thing was a dream for me. It has excellent balance throughout, with a flat bearing too. I’m not pro flat bearings mostly because of the balance issue, but this one just glides and glides, and what’s more, it’s QUIET.

The yoyo is all catch zone, you have to have really weak aim to miss anything with this yoyo. And for a middleweight throw at 67.5 grams, it is super fast on the string. It just cuts through the air like a knife. And its floaty! My YYF is 67 grams but nowhere near as fast as this is. My Meteor comes in at a light 64 grams with the caps on and is fast alright, but this one is just as fast and weighs more. So you get the best of three worlds, speed, weight and comfort.

I LOVE how this form just cuts through the string layers, it just cuts through. Magic Drop was my pain in the butt last month, but with this one, it’s a breeze.
Another thing I really love about this yoyo is the ultra low walled gap. The string is free all the time, ZERO DRAG. The protostar has a similar gap at the same mm width too, 4.5 and the PRO beats it for unresponsiveness. Yes this throw is super unresponsive.

Just to compare: my Chaotic has a gap of 4.76mm, the 888 at 4.85mm, the meteor at 5MM and the Lyn Fury also at 5mm. These yoyos are more responsive even with larger gaps. And its because of the high wall around the gap. Some players like em, some may not. I prefer something like the PRO with no interference during play. My protostar comes close to the pro in this regard, in fact, the protostar binds very much the same way the PRO does.

Overall Play is very smooth and almost no vibe on a regular throw. On a super hard throw there will be some minimal vibe.

I’m not kidding when I tell you that I did a blindfolded combo with the pro, something front style, I did the brain twister, then boomerang, followed by split the atom and bind with my eyes closed and It was just as easy as with my eyes open. I don’t recommend this to anyone nor in tight spaces hehe, but just to prove that this throw guarantees awesome play.

Grinds are a breeze, finger, arm grinds and with thumb grinds the thick lip is like an inverted shelf, just there for your thumb. Binds real tight too. It’ll handle whatever you throw at it. So So sweet.
On weak side of this yoyo, if you hit it during flight, it will wobble quiet a bit, but it does recover.

This yoyo ranks in at number 1 in my collection, followed closely by the String Theory Quark and in third place the YYF 888.

I am so so happy to have bought this yoyo and I am sure if you decide to try it, you will love it too.

If you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer them in the best way I can.

Thanks!

The Update I have is that after a good while playing this yoyo with the stock bearing, I wanted to try out what the KK would do. The stock bearing is great as it is, but I had to make the swap and see if there is any difference. So I put it in and I found the yoyo to be even more unresponsive! Binds have to be higher up and there is more spin time added to the throw, around 20 seconds on average so it was a good decision. Overall, whether you like flat or concave, the yoyo performs great. And I am still very very happy with this yoyo.

Thanks-

Great review! I was laughing when you spoke of the ray of light. Good quality pictures as well. Thumbs up!

1 Like

Thx friend I had BIG FUN writing it! Stay cool!