Spin-time help

Hello, this is yosocsome.I just got a dark magic II for Christmas and my spin-time needs help. My previous yoyo was the YYJ Journey and I could get a maximum spin-time of about 45 seconds. I was hoping with a new dark magic, I could get closer to 90 to 120 seconds, however my max spin-time with the DM 2 is about 60 seconds.

I am using the YYJ speed bearing and 100% cotton string. Please add suggestions and advice to help me increase my spin-time. If you have any questions that will help you get a better idea of the situation, ask away. thanks a lot everybody!

Practice is the most effective cure to short sleep times.

I would say that you need to work on throwing harder, and making sure those hard throws are very straight and accurate. Another thing that you may want to try is cleaning your bearing, and if you want to, lightly lubing it. The string might be a bit grippy considering it is cotton. Do you have any Polyester or 50/50 string? If so, give that a whirl as well. Spin time comes from momentum from a strong throw, these same spin times deteriorate quite quickly if the cotton string (which is easily affected by humidity, which is why I say they are grippy) is rubbing up against the response pads due to the yoyo tilting because of a crooked throw. The main thing to remember when trying to fix your spin time and/or response level is 1. Bearing, 2. Response, 3. String Tension, 4. Throw. Pretty much in that order as well, I hope this helps you out, keep us posted on what issues you may run into. :smiley:

1 Like

I used to desire min+ spin times. I felt I had earned them by spending more money on a throw. But really, I don’t have a big enough stash of smooth tricks to justify long spins. Sure, I’m jealous that Andre just seems to be able to stand there and talk while his DM2 perpetually spins during a tutorial, but I really don’t need to worry about it if my goal is to master new tricks, rather than stand around timing my sleepers.

2 Likes

try thin lube, poly string, shims(if you can bind ;)),or clean the bearing. its all int the throw and bearing

Were you timing your sleepers or did the spin die out while you were doing your tricks? The spin time should only be a problem if it restricts your play.

1 Like

1: Switch to 100% Polyester String
2: Make Sure you form a Muscle, and keep the YoYo in your Hand Completely Straight and Lined up.
3: Throw as Hard as you can and when you let go let the YoYo roll of your Arm.

That should Help you build your Throw Hand up. :wink:

1 Like