Speedaholic FX vs iCEBERG

They seem to be the most popular polycarbonate-metal hybrids around, very similar in all aspects except the fx has 6061 aluminium rims compared to stainless steel on the iceberg.
Being nearly the same weight, the rims are about a third of the thickness on the iceberg. How do they compare?

3 Likes

I have both.

I like one better than the other one.

5 Likes

Never played an iceberg. Shfx was disappointing to me. Not very powerful which is kinda what I wanted. Prolly mismanaged my expectations so that’s my bad. Still was a fun Yoyo just like not much o the old rim weighty punch.

2 Likes

Shfx is has moderate weight and plays a little on the fast side but also modest power in the middle of the pack of monometals. Iceberg has similar weight but it way more powerful. Still not as min maxxed as other hybrids bc of the fingerspin hub. The iceberg also has a much worse fingerspin hub unless you have fat fingers (shfx hub can be a bit tight for some to fingerspin).

Personally, I like the surveil better than iceberg bc faster, lighter, more powerful. Porycrash also similar but heavier and even more powerful. And monarch is more powerful than the shfx in the aluminum hybrid category. Anecdotally, I’ve kept all of these except the iceberg.

Tldr, shfx moderate power, some speed, gud fingerspin. Iceberg powerful like an ok bimetal, meh fingerspin

5 Likes

Get a Sonic Wave

On second thought……. Get a better opinion…

3 Likes

If you are going to get a c3 hybrid i would recommend the ROOC, the hybrid model of the Krown series. The SHFX was a slight step backwards in the Speedaholic series, even to this avid C3 fan. The best hybrids i can recommend that i have tried or own are the Monarch first and foremost (S+ to SS tier range for me), then the ROOC (A+ to S tier), then the iCEBERG (solid A tier). The Notion by Unparalleled is also supposedly quite good.

Get a Monarch unless you NEED a fingerspin dimple on your hybrid.

2 Likes

I’d second this, especially since my website has them on sale for the same price as the FX. Today’s the last day too.

Honestly you can’t go wrong with most hybrids tho

4 Likes

I personally really like the Speedaholic. I think it has a more pleasant feeling weight distribution than a lot of pure performance oriented bi metals, it’s just really easy to throw for a long time and isn’t lacking spin time or stability at all.

1 Like

I’d love to buy it, especially with the sale but the internationalshipping is a third of the cost of the yoyo :skull_and_crossbones: (or half the price of the yoyo in the case of the b-grades)

1 Like

iceberg makes my life a little easier as a few of the german stores have iyoyo stuff in stock and shipping in the eu is cheaper than from america, porycrash seems pretty much perfect for me but it’s out of stock everywhere and it, the surveil and monarch are both a little out of my price range, especially with shipping. Have you maybe tried the Digamma crash? it’s the same price as the the iceberg here but is 2mm narrower than the new iceberg and about the same width as the sonic wave.

I’ll third this. Monarch is best.

1 Like

The Notion is an amazing yoyo. I only have the iceberg to compare it to and it’s much more nimble than the iceberg. It’s not as powerful but it has plenty of power and is one on the most controllable yoyos I’ve played.

3 Likes

Can do what I did and get an iceberg and get a Speedaholic XX (non hybrid).

1 Like

I’ve got Monarch Iceberg and Speedaholic fx.

For easy fingerspin tricks. Speedaholic for LONG fingerspin tricks Iceberg. For non fingerspin tricks either Iceberg or Monarch… but most of the times Monarch because its much more comfy in the catch.

3 Likes

In my experience the SHFX fingerspins just as long as the iceberg. However the SHFX is just better. You can do more complicated tricks with the SHFX because the cup is deep and easy to lock into.

1 Like

For me it has to do with the size of the cups. The smaller fingerspin cups don’t work for my fingers. I had the same problem on the cheatcode. The shooting star did better than that one for me because I’m a 6 foot 1 200+ pound guy.

I imagine if your fingers are more narrow then the c3 cups might do better for you. The Speedaholic does lock on more easily though yes.

1 Like

Where´re you located? Might help you out a bit :slight_smile:

I’m in the UK right now

1 Like

Tough luck - I’m at Frafurt/Germany. But shipping to UK is a pain in the …… since Brexit as well. Sorry mate :wink: