Speed or laidback

I have been considering starting yoyo reviews but I am a laid-back player. I have seen discussion over time that if you can’t do speed combos you shouldn’t do reviews. I am curious to see what percentage of people play speed vs casual. If you play laid-back would you be fine with reviews by another lax player? What if your all about speed?

Are you a speed player or more laid-back?

• Speed
  • Laid-back

0 voters

5 Likes

16 Likes

Laid back. Not just from lack of skill either

5 Likes

Should I recreate the poll? Lol

2 Likes

I just think that both styles do not cancel each other. I wonder if there’s really someone who just plays speed and nothing else.

4 Likes

I figured more that people most likely lean towards one or the other. I could be totally wrong but it’s what I have observed from the few throwers I have been around.

2 Likes

Depends on the mood really

1 Like

Well… is Zach Gormley a speed player?

1 Like

Accidentally voted speed! I’m definitely laid back!

2 Likes

I play a bit of both too.

1 Like

I would say laidback since even when I try to push the yoyo fast I can’t haha. Definitely have to improve my speed

2 Likes

You have to find a balance between both. To much speed takes away from the experience, but in the right circumstances can give you that pop. It is like any other conflict. It can never be one sided because your audience would get board. Speed complements the laid back style and vise versa. Both bring to combos the same ups and downs you get from watching any type of bout. As for reviews you do not have to be a speed player to do reviews, infact you don’t even have to be a yoyo player to be a reviewer. There is no written law that states this. Sometimes I don’t go to the best players for intelligence as it is often bias! Sometimes I want to hear what the nobodies have to voice.

2 Likes

For me it depends a lot on what I’m listening to while I’m throwing… and then there’s that whole “I’m really just not good enough to go super fast” thing :grin:

3 Likes

Nah, you most definitely need to know how to yoyo to review a yoyo. Unless you are making a video on the history of the Duncan Butterfly or something, but that isn’t really what we have in mind when it comes to reviewing yoyos.

Mostly laid back for me. Sometimes I rip through my combos as fast as possible because on occasion it is fun to push a yoyo, but I definitely prefer a slow rhythmic approach to yoyoing.

3 Likes

Click “Hide Results”, and you can change your vote!

3 Likes

Thanks @Myk_Myk. Just added my vote to overwhelming majority.

3 Likes

Kids today… :man_shrugging::rofl:

2 Likes

So I personally, like to do some speed stuff, but I don’t really like raw speed combos, I like flow as well, like Yuki Nishisako vs Shion Araya

2 Likes

A lot of the “need for speed” seems to come from competition play which is totally off my radar. My idea of “string hits” is not messing up the trick, not how fast it went.

Pauses are good, and add entertainment value to you and an observer, especially when you are in an unusual shape, or you give the string time to make it flow nicely.

I think speed is fine, especially mixed with slower tempos. But really it’s your yo-yo do whatever is fun.

4 Likes

That is your opinion. Just as reviewing anything is mainly opinion towards some type of fact(specs). I don’t always need to know what a player didn’t/did like about a throw. Often opting towards what about the throw worked for a non player. I already know what I like, and what I like to what a non player needs do not mix well. I do not watch reviews for any of the yoyos I buy. I just buy them. If I am watching a review it is for someone else’s benefit or for a throw I know I am never going to own main because of my lack of interest. So no you absolutely do not need to be a player to give feedback. After all isn’t that what it is all about. Players around my way are pretty much non-existent. The ones that do exist are usually busy with things in the yoyo community or work really hard.

1 Like