Something I don't get . . .

Most people own a lot of yoyos because they’re trying to find that perfect one, imo. Some people collect just for the sake of collecting, but i think a lot are just after that perfect throw which may or may not exist. Given the option of playing with every yoyo before buying it i’d probably have owned 10 yoyos at most since i started, but instead i’ve went through 100+.

This is sort of where I’m at. Or at least a perfect “set” of yoyos. First you have to discover your preferences, which takes time and the ability to throw several yoyos. Then once you sort of know your preferences, you stumble across a yoyo that fits those preferences!

Then the buying seems to slow down. Coz you’re like, “Last time I got a new yoyo, I STILL just kept playing that favourite one of mine… why did I buy this?”

That said, preferences change (sometimes day to day!) and at least PART of owning multiple throws is to have variety either for specific needs (throwing horizontal, practicing fingerspins) or “just because”.

I just don’t follow or believe any hype - I’ve been disappointed in far too many hyped yoyos in the past.

After 8+ years of playing, I have around 20 yoyos as part of my “permanent” collection. I am happy at this number, and apart from a couple (literally 2, maybe 3) items, there is nothing else that I feel I need to own.

I have a few yoyos that are in my “sweetspot”, and then a few more for their uniqueness (variety can be good).

very well put.

Chances are you don’t have the yoyo best suited for your style if you only have 4.
Basically every yoyo brings something different to the table. Very few if any yoyoers can tell you what is the best yoyo for them and not have that change down the road. It takes years and even then you can find something you like the feel of better.
Also people get in a slump and often the best way out of that is to pick up a new yoyo and renew your passion.
Basically we are isolated from the larger community almost as a whole in our group, so we gota’ buy yoyos to try them. then trade yoyos to try more. You end up with a large collection.
Then there is the just flat out supporting the community part of buying yoyos. If people don’t buy yoyos then there will be no forums, contests, or yoyo shops. The less yoyos are picked up the smaller each one of these things will get.
Plus people just like to have that one yoyo nobody else has or that collection others envy, I can’t speak much to this because I could care less about it. That is diffidently a drive for some though.

Variety, also there really isn’t much to do except give André our money in return for awesome yoyos. Also people love the BST so there’s that factor too.