Solid colours or Splash? Which do you prefer

I’m going to abstain from this poll, because I wish there was a “both” option. I preferred solids for a long time, and I think the majority of my yo-yos are still solids. But, I’ve grown to appreciate a nice splash on a yo-yo, in certain colorways. I like the patterns that some of them make while spinning.

Eye candy? Shout out to YYB. This is a YoyoFactory premium splash. :wink:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/752/21387636555_b35878a529_z.jpgTooHOTYYB by Total Artist, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/697/20766529603_af1d429e76_z.jpgTooHOTYYBb by Total Artist, on Flickr

1 Like

Guys, I feel I should clarify that when I was referring to ‘splash’ I meant any other color that was not solid. Someone pointed out to me that acid wash is different to splash, but I meant both.

Depends on the yoyo. But I I do like multicoloured ones like the Zeekio Prism

I’m typically a fan of solids. Plain and simple, I think they look great, so long as I like the color, and they let the physical design of the yoyo speak for itself. I’m a “no frills necessary” type person, and I enjoy objects with minimalistic designs; solid colorways go hand in hand with minimalism.

That being said, there is still room for splashes and acid washes in my collection. I’m much more picky on what’s appealing to me if it’s not a solid, but there are some that I just can’t deny owning or wanting to own:

I’ll eventually need to pick up some throw anodized by Jason Wong in one of his “skittles” colorways. They’re amazing looking. Unfortunately they’re getting rarer and rarer, especially mint ones, and I’ll only buy/trade for mint throws.

I really like my SPYY Addiction v2 with its dark/light green acid wash. Just “works” perfectly for me with its engravings. Also, it has a very cool iridescent-looking effect while spinning. This was one of the first non-solids that I ever felt the “need” to own. I also still want to pick up a solid black version of it again, as I can’t decide which I like better.

I have a soft spot for my OD Cascade that I won in a giveaway on Reddit, as it came with a signed box and trading card from Paul Dang. I forget the name of the colorway, but it’s black with “rasta” colored splashes. I’m not a big fan of the rasta colors when it’s sitting still, but it does look pretty great while spinning.

I’d really like to own one of each of the YYF Galaxy colorways, as they’re all outstanding looking. If they produced either the Space Cowboy or the upcoming “Nightmare” in all 3 Galaxy colorways (alien, regular, golden), I’d instantly buy a set of all 3. Please YYF, do that, then “shut up and take my money!”

I also really liked my aquatic combat G2 Marvel while I had it. I got picked to buy an /r/Throwers edition though, so I elected to trade the aquatic combat away. I’m equally pumped for that colorway though, as the colors look great in that swirl design. In general, G2 routinely puts out some of the most appealing non-solids to me. I’d also like to track down one of the original solid black with red logo versions of the Marvel, but there were only a few of those produced.

I really want to find a Tenyoyo Drop Bear in the Never, Never colorway, as that just fully accentuates the mythos surrounding actual drop bears. It’s a perfect fit, and a good looking non-solid to boot.

And lastly, there’s just something about CLYW’s new zip zap rap colorway that I like. Not my typical palette of colors, but it looks darn good. I’d really like an orca in this color, but I’ll get it on one of their models eventually. In an ideal world, I’d have them put it on an OG Wooly Marmot for me, but that’s just a dream.

Beyond those though, solids are my jam.

I typically go for solids since I’m picky about color combinations. Splash can look great, though.

I like black and gold splash for its bronzy look when it is spinning. Also Blue and silver is nice.

I’m surprised solid is winning

Me too actually, I was under the impression that splashes were universally preferred.

For me it all comes down to the individual colour on the individual yoyo. I tend to go for solids with most Onedrop models and splashes with most CLYW’s for instance.

I’m a big fan of both reall, depending on what yoyo it is. ;D

One of the nice things about splash colors, is that you can kind of visually tell how much spin you have left. Also when filming there’s kind of a cool effect that happens (depending on your camera and shutter speed, refresh rates…)…ever seen it where your yoyo looks like it’s spinning, slowing, and reversing direction, slowing, reversing…?

I prefer solids, but I like a half and half yoyo the best. Half blue half purple is my favorite.

It depends on the yoyo and it’s colourways…on the Format:c-solid all the way…on the Marvel-Splash

Yea there are some yoyo’s where solid colors do look really good but I mostly prefer a nice splash.

Wow. Surprised solid is preferred.

I personally like splashes better but it depends on the throw but if I had to choose, id pick splashes. It’s also that having a splash kinda makes it one of a kind. No two splashed yoyos are alike. And that I like very much.

That’s a very good point, I completely agree.

My CLYW Puffin has a dodgy splash pattern on it, one that I really didn’t like at first sight.
However, I’ve since come to realise that’s what makes my Puffin my Puffin. That little fellow is one of a kind, and I’ve grown to love his flaws and quirks. ;D

1 Like

Are the results of the poll really accurate? Do people really think that solid colors are better overall?

I don’t know… We just released the Rave, and it’s the silver ones that are still sitting on the shelf.

welling being the wonderful generous guy that I am I will take one of those silver ones that is just laying around off your hands if you want to ship it to me to just get rid of it

I just pulled it up and those splashes on the rave do look pretty awesome

Sure! Just send me $99.99 and $14 for shipping and I’ll send you one. :slight_smile:

as long as it fingerspins, handles horizontal well, and spins really long, sign me up

(i dont usually have any preferance in other words, but for competition, gotta get da blast :D)

Did the same poll over in China
Solid shiny
Solid blast
Multi color shiny
Multi color blast
http://i.imgur.com/xZyIiTQ.png

I think that’s more of a testament to just how awesome the splashes on the Rave are. :wink: