So how about that stock market?

It’s always amusing to me how aggressively anti-crypto some people can be. Is it out of ignorance? Upset you seemingly ‘missed the boat’?

It’s probably just some wonky coincidence that in the past year US debt has seen the biggest jump since the 40s. (yeah, yeah…covid).

Precious metals are commonly invested in. Why? Don’t they know that people can just mine more??

I’ve made a lot of money with crypto. Maybe I’ll lose a bunch in the coming years. Who knows. Maybe if it crashes you’ll stop shrieking about it.

No offense, of course.

By the way, $1 = 100 pennies. Oh no. Quick, someone work out how many half-pennies that is.

Well, just this week there was a good dip on Monday pretty much across the board, due to new fear of the virus, so that meant good opportunities to make money.

Crypto, sure if you like. It relies on people believing in a new currency. And a lot of the stock market moves are based on what people believe. I prefer to invest based on performance of companies. And on monday, the money I made was via short put options on Amazon - because it’s hard to deny that Amazon is the future. No rocket ship there.

2 Likes

Nothing. Just not interested. I figured back then it had to hit another high point which iirc was $10k. So I had a sell order well under that. It hit without me even paying attention.

I had no idea it would climb to where it did. Just ignorant of the crypto market really. No clue that Musk could move it like he did and make stacks on the up sell, before crashing it lower with one tweet and then lower in partner with China it seems.

About

Our Debt Clock

US Published National Debt

$28,907,883,278,103

The Truth

$133,661,087,593,800

Each Taxpayer’s Share: $855,000

1 Like

It’s essential that you understand these fundamental concepts: SAT is the base unit of bitcoin. “BTC” is just a convenient shorthand expression of SAT. 21 million BTCs == 2 quadrillion SATs. People should get used to thinking only in terms of SATs since that’s what bitcoin is.

As the theory goes, the limited supply of bitcoin is where it derives most of its intrinsic value. I’m just pointing out the supply of bitcoin is orders of magnitude larger than the total global money supply – the very thing it was intended to “free” us from. There are 100 million times more possible “coins” than people think there are. So, the argument for bitcoin being valuable because its supply is “limited” is completely laughable because the true supply of bitcoin is astronomical – 56 times bigger than the global money supply.

Numbers are important.

If you’re referring to me, can you point to a single statement I’ve made that is explicitly anti-crypto? Moreover, where did I say I don’t own crypto? You’re reaching here. If anyone has displayed ignorance it is you.

And “missing the boat”? Has the ship sailed? Are you implying it’s now too late to get in? I mean they’re eventually going to $100k and eventually 1 million dollars, right? Which leaves $900k+ of potential profit and plenty of time, right? Or don’t you believe your own unsubstantiated hype?

I wish most crypto advocates could just come clean and be honest with themselves: they don’t believe in crypto (or even understand it in many cases). They simply got in early enough on an obvious pyramid scheme where the earlier you got in the bigger your windfall. Lots of teens and twenty-somethings jumped in years ago with their lunch money and rent money when the stakes were low and it blew up way bigger than anyone could have imagined. It was a fluke never to be repeated. I’ve got no problem with that. If someone wants to give me $60k for an intangible, digital thing I got for free, I will happily take their money.

The thing that bothers me greatly is the greedy charlatans trying to convince total strangers on the internet that it’s some kind of “great financial reset”, the “new money”, and their best chance to be rich (lest they “miss the boat” like you said). That is sad and dishonest. You’re trying to build wealth off other people’s ignorance and it can ruin lives of people you’ve never met. Crypto is merely the latest get-rich-quick scheme, right behind the abomination of NFTs. If you’re riskily buying these things at $60k (or encouraging others to with baseless hype and misinformation), you’re playing with fire – it’s 100% unregulated and the volatility is face melting. For everyone else who got in very early, it’s an amusing little game – cheap/free lotto tickets. Making money is fine, exploiting idiots is not.

Regardless, I’m just asking questions and correcting any obvious disinformation in your answers along the way. I’m not making an explicit judgement on crypto itself being good or bad. It’s technology – it is what it is. And it will continue to do whatever it does whether or not you or I own any. I’m much more judgmental of what people do with it and its disingenuous cheerleaders with questionable motivations.

This is irrelevant since the supply of dollars is not limited; we just create (or destroy) dollars as needed. Bitcoin cannot do that due to the programmed hard limit so it’s critical we know the true limit.

Since the 40’s? That was an uneventful decade. Except for, ya know, WORLD WAR II happening. :man_facepalming:

Economics 101: debt without considering the GDP is meaningless. We’re at 106%. Not ideal, but easily manageable. Using Japan as the upper limit at 237%, we’ve got plenty of headroom by comparison, especially since the US Dollar is the world’s most widely used reserve currency, and our military spending is larger than the next 11 countries combined. Which means we have the luxury to do some incredibly reckless things at the expense of other countries economies.

Also, yeah, yeah… Covid. Complete shutdown of the global economy. Never happened before. Kind of a big deal.

1 Like

3 Likes

So does he have a suggestion or is he just whining about crypto?

1 Like

Everyone can have their own opinion on crypto. But making it political is just where we are as a society unfortunately… everything is politicized :woman_facepalming:
Right now Crypto is a form of gambling, it doesn’t lean one way or another. The poor (on any side) won’t be able to play. The same as the stock market… imo

I have no idea other than what he stated, he won’t buy into any crypto. It’s my understanding dogecoin was created as a joke and he made nothing from it, while others made millions (or billions?) so maybe some sour grapes?

I think the main point I took away is that it is straight up gambling as its always been. But if you know what happened in the 2008 global financial meltdown, the bailouts, etc. then I don’t really see much difference. I did like the movie describing it, The Big Short.
But I’ve never been a great investor. My mutual funds and 401k did fine until around 2002 and disappeared in 2008.

It comes off as sour grapes to me. Which, hey, that’s fine. I’ve done pretty well with crypto, and I even made a couple bucks on doge back when it was the fresh meme. I have a 401k and a couple accs thru different brokers but I also ‘invest’ in crypto, and yet I still get a puzzling amount of hate occasionally when I mention I have an amount of BTC.

Can totally see sour grapes myself. But also a warning. Same as the guy in The Big Shorts next gamble was on water.

Wish I didn’t put a sell order so low on my BTC. Would’ve made 10’s of thousands more.

Not sure why you would get hate on BTC? You do you and if you make some $ in the process, let the haters hate! If you can predict swings and futures, why not? I can’t, but good to those who do!
Of course the guys I hang with make fun of me for playing yoyo. None of them could be convinced to try one. So yeah.

I’ve made plenty from counting cards. Pure gambling, but with a certain gained advantage, with advantage play. When friends would doubt, I would put 1K on the line. I’ll double it or refund you. Never lost anyone’s money. Have fun and learn about your own capacity for greed. That’s the catch imho. F that political stuff, greed doesn’t choose parties. It’s the greed in oneself that needs to be overcome. Focus on yourself. Hope you make fat stacks, but I know that’s a dated term, and don’t know the new one. But I did watch ‘Dave’ and still forgot the lingo. :joy:

4 Likes

I wonder how everyone is faring in this Bear market? Bitcoin down near 50% since the last post about it here……

I’m up 20% on the 80$ I put into an account about a month ago just to have fun swing trading this down turn. It’s amazing how much easier it is to trade 80$ rather than 80,000$ :joy:.

3 Likes

Rough :dizzy_face:
Thats the way she goes… letting it ride

2 Likes

Ive been working for a 529 conpany. (Investments that help you save for college.) Best advice I have is calm down, and don’t react.

2 Likes

As a day/swing trader that’s all I do is react.

My value-stocks are holding up surprisingly well. They took a quick, initial-hit; now they are just chopping.
The real issue is: what are your alternatives?

1 Like

Okay let me adjust that phrase. If your not making day trading your life, then now is not the time to react. Most folkes react by selling, and then keeping their losses.

1 Like

No doubt. If your in it for the long haul gotta keep buying even when the market crashes so you scoop up more shares.

1 Like

Anyone else feel like a sell off is imminent?

Yep. Until you compare the values vs the new value of the dollar and it makes me not know what to think.

1 Like

And there she goes. One and done or does it continue? :thinking:

1 Like