So apparently Eric Koloski brought 4 different yoyos onto stage

How many grams is half a bearing? that could account for the discrepancy in weights.

Well said. Did anyone else notice that Andrew Maider used a WM2. I don’t think that has much of a reputation for being stable either. I think he makes it work…

One of the THE most important things I look for in a yoyo is how easily I can get backups. If I were not sponsored, I would use Classics because they are so inexpensive. I use the core because my brother has a pair for 3a, and I can just borrow those for 1a backups.

Bahaha keep trying Garrett…

but guys,me and garret (i think) are not trying to say that if you use a non-competition yoyo at a competition you fail… jensen kimmit qualified for final with a velocity v1 once ! but lets face it, a long spinning yoyo with fast play and stability will make you loose less time on regen,bind&throw,fixing tilt and average play so it will give you more opportunity to make string hit,which means more clicks.

1 Like

hank freeman didnt even bring backups on stage at worlds… and thats for 3a.

1 Like

i knew this, this just proves that everything is not written in concrete but that there is still some standard

Let me ask you, are you surprised to see a WM2 used in competition? The regen is definitely on par with the WM2 in terms of spin time and stability, especially in the hands of experienced players like EK. You are correct that a Draupnir would definitely make things easier, but the benefits are often(not always) not large enough to outweigh the fun of using your favorite yoyos.

But that doesn’t really apply to the present argument. He used Triumphs, which are as top of the line as it gets.

The present argument is useless, this thread is still about back up yoyos.

1 Like

not really,but did he win ? (really did he win ?) because if it did not it would be like saying that breakaway is a high-scoring trick because everybody use it in contest freestyles, but yeah i am not really surprised because it is a good yoyo,just not competition oriented but as i said in my previous post, nothing is written in concrete.

He came pretty close. Garrett was surprised at EK bringing a regen on stage, but passed over the WM2 that was actually used to get 2nd place. I’ve just been sort of annoyed at how the regen is being underrated these days.

the regen isn’t,it’s been 2 months since it’s release… and it was in a mystery box, so wait till 1st run to see. and it’s not the holly grail of plastic, i own 1 right now and had a second that i sold lately,it doesn’t need to be acclaimed.it’s just a great yoyo

surfs up dude!!11!!

First of all, thank you. Lately I see when ever I see someone say plastic ‘regen’ is often not far behind. The regen is a really nice plastic, but is the shutter of plastics. It’s really, really good but a tad over rated. I find myself picking up my afterglow and proto, even my shaqler more than the regen.
Anyway, on to the topic of this thread, in my opinion it’s the player that’s more important. The yoyo is a tool at the core really. You could take someone who makes beautiful carvings, give them a butter knife and they may suck or they may make something beautiful. But in a competition setting, I think it wouldn’t be the smartest to use a yoyo that is so below par than the other competitors. Players make up the 85% (at the least) skill needed to do the amazing tricks and combos, and practice and get their routine down, and I’ll give the yoyo the other 15%.
That being said, I don’t see what all is that much better between a shutter and nova, in terms of competing. Now, someone take a fast 201 up there, I’d be impressed.

1 Like

I really appreciate your putting the Nova and Shutter on the same level, because I think that most people would put the Shutter far above the Nova. I agree with everything you said, except the part about the Regen being overrated. I was hearing(or reading, rather) a lot of criticism in the Mystery Box threads.

they didn’t say the regen was bad,just than the mystery box was :smiley: i think he meant that shutter wasn’t that big of a deal at world and not that it was on part with, (SHUTTER IS WAY TO MUCH OVERRATED ! BAD GENTRY ! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO WIN WORLD ! END THE SHUTTER PHASE !) in my opinion the regen is nor over nor underrated . Why ? because nobody cares about it ! it doesn’t really get all that talk so we can really say, personally it’s my daily carry,but if it was metal it would spend more time on the bench

i think the draupnir is a decent yoyo

1 Like

Meh… shutter is better

Hold on. I don’t understand. Is it unusual to bring 4 yoyos on the stage? I’ve seen lots of people bring a bunch of backups on stage.

normally they just bring the same yoyo,he bring 3 different model

It probably doesn’t matter what he has on stage or as his backup. He can probably pull off his routine on multiple yoyo’s. I mean, once you learn something it really doesn’t matter too much after you have perfected it, at least not in yo-yoing. Maybe if were talking about a triathlete where spending thousands of dollars to not only lighten his bike but strengthen it could mean shaving time while keeping the bike safe. Yoyoing just isn’t that technical IMO, and really most sports are like that, once muscle memory is established, you can perform a task on most equipment good or bad.

Example…I tried learning spirit bomb on my DM2, got my clyw, switched to learning it on that, went much better on that yoyo. Now that I know how to do spirit bomb, I can perform it flawlessly on both, and both are just as adequate for serving the purpose of performing spirit bomb. Don’t really matter wether or not its my BVM2 or DM2.

This serves as an example for both sides of the argument here I think. Better yoyo’s perform better and do serve a purpose and leave the room for less error. But in yo-yoing, I don’t think its a technical enough sport that once muscle memory is established equipment will make a “game” or “contest” winning difference. Once Eric had his routine down, I bet he could perform it flawlessly on most any yoyo because of how much practice he put into it and how good he was at it.

Phillips point is I feel the most important. If you can only afford 1 expensive yoyo or 3 or 4 cost effective yoyo’s that will take you through the contest, it would probably be smart to roll with the cheaper yoyo’s.

1 Like

needing the same yoyo as a backup is 100% mental. backups are wack anyways because of the deductions these days. id bring some duncan imperials still in the package as backups, bust out sidewinders until my song is over.

2 Likes