Sneak Preview of Strings: A Yo-Yo Documentary

Hi,

There will be a sneak preview of Strings: A Yo-Yo Documentary on Sunday, September 18th at 1:45 PM in NYC. It will be held at the Beatrice Theater located at 333 West 23rd Street, New York NY 10011. I know a lot of you are not in NYC - I hope we will be coming to you soon with the film!

If you are nearby, it would be great if you could make it! Tickets are free, but limited. You can reserve yours here: http://mfasocdoc.eventbrite.com/. They are labelled as Sunday Early Afternoon tickets.

Thanks again for your support!! Hope to see you on Sunday, September 18th!

Feel free to forward this message.

Dawn // Director of StringsL A Yo-Yo Documentary
stringsthefilm@gmail.com

Here are directions to the theater:

The SVA Theatre is located on 23rd Street, between Eighth and Ninth Avenues, in the heart of Chelsea.

The theater is easily accessible by mass transit:

C/E to 23rd Street (at Eighth Avenue)
1 to 23rd Street (at Seventh Avenue)
F or PATH (from New Jersey) (at Sixth Avenue)
Downtown M11 bus on Ninth Avenue
Uptown M20 bus on Eight Avenue
Crosstown M23 bus (stops at Eighth and Ninth Avenues)

Sweet. Once the movie comes out, is there going to be released on dvd? Because i’d by it

I’d be interested in a DVD version as well. As much as I want to see the movie, I don’t want to drive to a theater that is too far away to see it.

If they put the money into putting it onto the big screen, it would most likely come out on DVD and BluRay.

I have a feeling this is going to tank on the big screen(most of that type of stuff does) but thrives on the home video market.

You can often count on a 3-month lag between the end of the theatrical run before home video comes out. I’m guessing March of next year. But I don’t see this getting more than a 6 week run at best. If seats are empty, theater owners are gonna give it the boot fast.

I’m not trying to be negative. This is a very niche production and as a result, the target audience is very small, which makes expensive theater runs that much more of a burden. I hope they are doing this digitally because prints can easily cost a few thousand dollars for that 35mm film. Plus, factor i around $385 to ship it(they are heavy) and they gotta get spliced and put on those endless loop platters. Digital don’t cost much but most theaters still don’t have it(because the gear DOES cost much! Around $160K/unit at starting costs)

HOWEVER, putting it in theaters, especially NYC, does put it up for being eligible for Academy Award nomination, chances are in a documentary category. In which case, the niche factor may play a lessor role and the film will be judged on its overall merit.

I’d have to read some reviews from other individuals here I respect to see if it would be worth a purchase. If it’s good, I don’t mind.

Also, many theaters that don’t want to invest in the proper equipment might run a BluRay off an LCD projector, so there’s still options. There’s a theater in Sacramento that will do that. Nice theater, quirky individuals(read: PITA to work with due to ignorance). It’s not appropriate for the film fest I work(it’s horror-themed) or the conventions I typically work(sci-fi and/or horror OR the other being anime).

I wish you best of luck in your screening tomorrow. May the Academy give it attention. This will encourage the filmmakers to continue their craft. If it gets a nomination, perhaps people will become more interested in the yoyo again!