Sleeps while learning to loop

I’m learning to loop but it seems to sleep on me some. I’m using the Oracle Yoyo with BadWolf string. Do I need to change string more often or use another string, or is it me? Thanks!

The Oracle is designed to be minimal maintenance but occasionally it still needs lube to stay responsive. I know, I know, lube making something responsive sounds odd but…consider this:

Place a few marbles in the bottom of a jar and roll them around the bottom as quickly as possible. Yeah they go fast, really fast. Now just poor some oil in the bottom of the jar with the marbles, roll them around and they go much more slowly. Pretty much works the same in a bearing.

Lube that bearing. I bet your problem goes away.

10 Likes

I will try lubing the bearing. Thanks!

1 Like

What a great explanation @skitrz. I’m gonna use that.

3 Likes

In addition to the lube, watch the string tension. If you’re a right handed looper the string will loosen a bit on each loop. So learn the string tensioning tricks. If you’re a leftie the string will tighten as you loop.

4 Likes

On another note, is the Loop 2020 Yoyo a good looping Yoyo?

Thick lube helps. Also, I have an oracle and when using a thinner string or if the string is getting worn out I find I have to wrap the loop around the axel 2 or 3 times so it gets to the point where it will sleep but still be responsive enough to loop well.

It was made to win 2A championships, so it’s one of the best loopers available. Probably not a good fit for a beginner as it is also highly complex with so many different parts and ways to set it up.

Aside from lubing the bearing and keeping track of your string tension, you also might want to occasionally check on the string wear around the bearing and at the slip joint on your finger. Looping wears out string much faster than string tricks and these two points are the most likely to break.

1 Like

Not the best choice for learning to loop.

The 2020 was designed for Shu Takada, so he could fine tune the loopers to his liking.

With the loop 2020, you can change the: axles, spacers, starburst response parts.

Experienced players can switch parts around until they are happy.

On the other hand, Loop 720’s are set up to loop with minimum tweaking.

And are much better suited for less experienced loopers.

…There are other choices… but the Loop 720’s are great tools for learning to loop without fiddling a lot with the yoyos.

4 Likes

You have a plethora of experience, thus, I would value your opinion.

My experience with YYF 1080 & 2020’s at best, have been Hoopty! These yoyos sound gimmicky and are full of unnecessary plastic, boasting a large carbon-footprint no less.

I’m curious to hear about the new Geigle/de Boisblanc inspired “SunRise” by iYoYo?
Note…2A-Shu would most likely win with any Bird-in-Hand of choice.

The Sunrise is a 720 body fitted with old YoyoJam sized bearings/spacers. It plays noticeably different if you throw them back to back, but it’s not an extreme difference (at least to someone like me, not a beginner, but not great at looping). I would say either one would be good for learning as they require little to no maintenance and adjusting.

1 Like