Skyva Yoyo Review

“Vibe” is NOT the vibrations from the string-it’s the visible shaking of the yoyo

I tried my friends skyva and I must say it was rather smooth. It was smooth enough to not even wonder if it had vibe. I really like this yoyo

So after having the Skyva for 2 weeks, heres my thoughts: I got it in white, I like the over all design and color, its texture is super smooth. The bearing that came with it was gritty, so I swapped it with a different CT one. Theres a small amount of vibe, but it doesnt affect playability at all. Overall I’d say it was worth the 20 bucks.

I just ordered mine. I love the minty green color but YYE is sold out so I got the gray one. Can’t wait to try it. Maybe I can finally learn how to do finger spins :smiley:

I received mine two nights ago and have had a bit of a chance to play with it. Here are my first impressions:

It feels really light on the string. It’s a quick yoyo but it’s also stable. It’s doesn’t seem to tilt off axis very quickly if I don’t throw it absolutely straight. The spin time is reasonable, but I’m betting it will get better as I work in the bearing. It’s not bad, but it’s not as good as the yoyos I throw every day (which makes sense since those bearings are all nicely broken in)

I threw a GT knot this morning and had to take the yoyo apart to clear it. Because of the finger spin cups the axle is quite short and the threads seems to be really tight. I almost thought I was cross threading the axle. When I tightened it I wasn’t sure when it was properly seated or if I was over tightening it. That worried me a little bit.

But how does it play? With my limited skill set I would say that it’s a fast, yet stable throw. It doesn’t seem to bog down when there are multiple wraps (such as wrapping up 3 or 4 Lindy Loops). I have missed several binds though. This may be due to the included string which is both quite long and quite thin. I’ll put an Ammo or Venom string on it today and try again. I can’t do finger spins at all, I’ve never even properly caught the yoyo on my finger yet. But the one time I was closest I could feel my finger pop into the finger spin cup (right before it popped out again). That’s what this yoyo was designed for and could see how the spin cup would be a huge advantage. I hope I become good enough to use it :slight_smile: If you’re a horizontal player then I’d really like to hear your opinion on it’s horizontal stability.

Tricks with quick direction changes like Gerbil or Cold Fusion can be done easily. The yoyo doesn’t seem to lag behind what I’m trying to do with it. The catch zone feels really wide and it’s easy to catch tricks like Kwyjibo. My fundamental impression is that it’s a really good plastic yoyo. I’ll need to play with it more to see if I like it more than my Replay Pros. But I’m thinking that the quickness of the Skyva may put it a notch ahead of the Replay Pro.

Let’s try it this way: I’d say it’s a bit quicker than my Shutter while being almost as stable. It’s not as quick as my Dogma but is vastly more stable than the Dogma. This seems to make sense since a yoyo with more rim weight tends to be a bit slower when changing directions and vice versa.

In the hand it feels really good. I’d say that it feels closer to an aluminum yoyo than any of my other plastics. There’s an almost subconscious sense of quality to the yoyo. I can’t explain what’s different about it, it just feels good.

The sound: Wow, this thing has the coolest sound. It has a high pitched shimmering ring to it. Plastic yoyos do tend to be louder but this one is the loudest yoyo I own by far. But it’s a cool ZING ZING sound rather than an annoying sound. I like it.

Bottom line: For the price, there’s no doubt that you should add one to your collection. It plays really well for a plastic yoyo and it plays pretty darn close to an aluminum yoyo like my Shutter. I don’t think there’s a down side to it at all.

If you’re on the fence about getting one then don’t be.

1 Like

@Greg Not gonna quote cuz it’s too long :wink:

I don’t think it’s super fast. It’s on the faster side but it handles a slower pace just as well in my experience. Saying it’s faster than the Replay Pro really isn’t saying much imo. The Replay Pro is 69g, very hefty and it’s definitely a slower yoyo. The Shutter is 67g so it’s still pretty hefty as well, the Shutter is on the faster side for a 67g yoyo but I wouldn’t say it’s fast overall, more of an average-paced throw.

I agree with the spin time, it’s decent but not the best. I thought it was the bearing at first too but I’ve tried different bearings and it’s the same. This is probably because it’s completely plastic with no weight rings so there’s not as much rim weight. I agree the yoyo is pretty stable, especially at higher/mid RPMs, but during lower RPMs I notice a little more turning than I’m used to. That combined with the average spin time, this isn’t something I’d use for competition where I’m trying to pile as many tricks as I can in each throw but it’s definitely great for casual play. As for horizontal it’s pretty good but not exceptional.

I definitely agree that it feels like a metal and that there’s a premium feel to it. I’ve stated this before and I think it’s really nice. Overall I personally think it’s the best yoyo on the market right now for under $30.

When I got mine, the response pad wasn’t seated. After taking it apart, I had the same concern as Greg- I had a hard time telling when it was tight enough. It is hard to read in that regard. Also, does anyone else have an issue with this thing being hyper responsive? I’m not using thick string, but I can barely set up a finger spin without it biting me. Which sucks, because that’s primarily why I got it.

Are you able to do fingerspins on other yoyos? Maybe your form just needs to be corrected.

I can “kinda” do them with other yoyos but not well. I’m definitely still learning, but I don’t have the response issue with other yoyos. I like the divot in the cap of the skyva and how it will really lock in, but it’s so responsive it’ll start to bind on snaps. Like, give it a tug and it’s coming back with a vengeance from a sleeper. I’m thinking I’ll have to call it a $20 loss and maybe use it as a giveaway to a new player,but I’m torn on whether I should give it another $20 go or just get a horizon or something. Not problem with the play, but I’m leery now

Have you tried switching bearings?

1 Like

Good point- no I haven’t. I’ll give that a try. I gave I a spin before I put string on and it seemed dry but I guess that doesn’t mean it’s perfect

Well, the bearing swap took care of the response issue, but now I’m left with massive pulsing vibe lol. I wouldn’t know how to “tune” it to save my life

Try unscrewing it and flipping the axle.

I’m not sure why unscrewing and switching the bearing gave it much vibe in the first place though.

Mine had a ton of vibe at first. It sits really tight, I could actually tighten mine more than I felt I should’ve been able to, and the vibe goes away. I had a small amount of colored flakes on bearing seat after unscrewing #still seems super snug# but if I don’t really crank it down it’s pretty vibey

I figured this might be the issue given the tightness the first time I unscrewed it, but I figured I’ll just deal with the vibe rather than risk destroying it

I currently have the skyva and I was wondering if you can remove the bearing. I have been trying to remove it but it just won’t come off. I also used a yyf multi tool and it still won’t budge any advice??

Really? I have never had a issue getting one off when using their multi tool. Are you rocking it back and forth or trying to pull it straight out? You should be rocking it back and forth. I don’t know if it works but some people put their yoyos in the freezer before they try to take the bearing off.

Yeah I am rocking it back and forth. It just won’t come out and the skyva is the only yoyo I have so I’m not going to put it in the freezer. Does your hearing come out?

The YYF multi tool isn’t really that great for removing tight bearings, it doesn’t provide enough leverage. Use some pliers instead.

Do you have a 1/4" drill bit? Use the bottom of it and see if it fits in better.